PDA

View Full Version : Steering head bearing

Hooaah
03-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Decided I needed to check and retorque steering head - as I was hearing that "clicking" sound with low speed braking. Disclaimer - I am not a talented wrench. I've been able to do some moderate work with the Service Manual and lots of patience. The only thing I can find in the manual is the procedure for replacing the bearings - page 2-58, figures 2-82 and 2-83. The installation process talks about a forcing screw, washer and nut assembly. After the upper bearing is installed, it just talks about repeating the process which I assume means removing the nut and washer, slipping the lower bearing over the shaft of the screw then reinstalling the washer, nut and tightening down to spec. Here's the real question - when this is done is the forcing screw, washer and nut removed? It doesn't say that in the manual - but I just looked at my 2006 Uly and I see NOTHING at the bottom end. I stick my pinkie finger as far up the shaft as I can and I feel NOTHING. Since I can't imagine the nut on the forcing screw traveling very far up the shaft I just stuck a mini-metal tape measure up the shaft. Ten inches before it hits anything! I am either doing something VERY wrong or I am missing MAJOR parts

Thanks

Hooaah
03-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Oops - I get it. The picture shows the fork clamps removed. I am sticking the tape up the middle of the post of the lower fork tube. The bearings are on the OUTSIDE of this post. DUH.