PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust in swing arm

vaxb12r
04-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't know how many people have heard of this but it was new to me. I am not going to ruin details by trying to explain it so I will just put the link. I think this is awsome for a race bike with no cat. I want it!
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/buell-swingarm-exhaust-patent/

snrusnak
04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I like innovation but I see no real purpose to this. Just going to heat up the oil in the swingarm, and then also probably more of an issue with the "flex" piece that connects it. I just don't see the point/benefit/need. Just end it under neath, that's the best way...

fakameanrepresent
04-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Its for the 1125 model, so no oil in the swing arm.

vaxb12r
04-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Snrusnak, its pretty ingenious since if your not running a cat it will save the weight of an exhaust all together. Weight wise you would only have a header while in actuality you would still have a full exhaust. Same idea as the stressed airbox on the new ducati panigale onlu that cuts the weight of the majority of a frame.

wolfo68
04-02-2012, 08:04 AM
It's been posted before, part of it was that where the exhaust would exit would change the pressure in that area behind the frame/engine I do believe, as well as cutting the weight.

snrusnak
04-02-2012, 11:09 AM
I didn't realize it was for the newer bikes. I guess it makes sense to save a few pounds. Just to me it's not good for a street bike, I mean really a muffler usually isn't THAT heavy to make it worth while on the street if it comes with more issues like the flex pipe part I could see having a lot of issues.