PDA

View Full Version : top of push rods leaking oil?? 2001 buell blast!!

raines45
04-08-2012, 03:48 PM
so.. i am losing a signifigant amount of oil from the top of the push rods where the gasket goes up to the top of the block. Is this common?/ What is the best way to go about fixing this?/

also note.. the oil level is perfect, with 20/50 oil, fresh change, the leak increses while riding and gets worse at higher rpms its seems, 2001 buell blast.

so overall the top end is leaking oil from somewhere around the top of the push rods and is leaking down the push rod cover and blowing all over my bike :(

pierce
04-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Where is it coming from exactly? If it is coming from the pushrods, there are two small o-ring gaskets that may need to be replaced. You would need to remove the head to get at them, or buy an adjustable push rod cover and just cut the stock cover and yank it out and then replace it with the new adjustable cover. That way you wouldn't have to remove the head.

If its from the head, then the head gasket failed and will need to be replaced (more common than you would think).

Clean it up really well and find out where its coming from.

raines45
04-09-2012, 04:39 PM
i would have to say it is the o rings on top of the pushrods to be exact... also thanks for the advice i think i will buy the adjustable cover because i have tried taking the top end off and had some issues.. hahaha so i will probably go about it that way thanks for the help pierce. also i will probably go ahead and get these parts but if you have a good suggestion on where to get these specific parts please share if possible thanks- Raines

Npoulos
07-01-2014, 01:37 AM
I would also like to know a good place to get parts

Cosworth
07-01-2014, 02:46 AM
If you really want to cut the pushrod tubes out then NHRS has replacement adjustables. Its not that difficult to remove the head and a good time to go through the rocker box gaskets. I'd have a hard time going this route for fear of getting plastic shavings down to the lifters.

http://www.nrhsperformance.com/partsvalvetrain.shtml