PDA

View Full Version : Fly Screen

Deon B
09-14-2008, 09:59 PM
What experience do anyone have on the extension of the ‘flyscreen’. I have extended my flyscreen with approx 14 cm and what a surprising result. Not only do the Buell look different but the aerodynamics of the bike improved considerably, I can not with ease sit upright at 200 and enjoy the ride, The fuel consumption is slightly better, around 16km/l on the average speed of 160, but who cares, at that speed nothing matters

Deon B
09-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Extended flyscreenhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1451_20080914154533_L.jpg

LeFox
09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
for a cleaner look:

http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/webshop/artikelen/C5E27A49-A6BA-4E48-B233-1A80D41A479D.jpg

sinpieces
09-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Ugly.... What i would like is a reworked fly screen. I have some ideas but i can't explain and i have no workshop image.

Deon B
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Sinpieces, make a drawing and email it to me at nut@lantic.net

captain13ron
09-17-2008, 10:23 AM
i was just playing aroung with some windshield material and came up with what i think is a nice windshield. i will post some pic's tonight it's 4" wider and twice as high all clear and most importantly does a great job of blocking wind with little buffiting.:)

sinpieces
09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Deon... ofcourse, and yes i would do it!
The problem is to find out on how to make a drawing.
I am thinking on contacting a custom builder and ask how he did his fairings. Who helped him draw them and manufacturer them. My idea is to have a better fly screen attached in the same attachment points as the original fly screen. Also original position lights points would remain the same. It got a somewhat image in my head. more aggressive and the angle of the screen should be steeper so that it void more air from the head/body. Sadly their are no Xb riders that are fanatical over here. Not that i know of anyway. If that was the case, we could work something out, alot easier i think.

captain13ron
09-18-2008, 11:12 PM
$20.00 and a little handywork! note; to sinpieces, if you make a windshield with a steeper angle it would cause more buffeting, the stock angle allows "cleaner" air corbin uses a low angle on there custom windshield, but it's ugly. http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1015_20080918160141_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1015_20080918155916_L.jpghttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1015_20080918155954_L.jpg

BillXB
09-19-2008, 03:06 AM
If i see this bike on the road, I will think it is a cop, common guys, be realistic, keep the bike a sports bike and not a cruiser, otherwise buy yourself a Harley Cruiser, Deons in another colour would look nice, it looks easy to install and the profile of the bike remains to be a Buell

Mcnasty
09-19-2008, 10:13 AM
I love the stock windscreen.. Come on this bike is all about the look!

captain13ron
09-19-2008, 10:25 AM
arn't ya a little parinoid bill, watcha been smoki'n? :p hey deon, i like your flyscreen, nice touch with the headlight lens's.

dave_xb12r
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Shaping lexan or plexi isnt easy. Good job Deon!

Bordsnbikes
09-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah everone listen to BillXB. He'll tell you what to do the right way. God forbid you do what you want with your own bike. Douche.

FIDOSOL
09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Hey ya'll keep it nice because if we have to whip them out, I'll win hand down...or up or sideways doesn't matter, we all know I got the biggest juevos on here. I mean come on it's ME! To each their own, as long as you preach about your mod being yours and on your bike that's cool I'll tolerate, now when someone tries to push a mod on you hardcore, then you can hate on them.

captain13ron
09-19-2008, 10:30 PM
i like to see different mod's. it's amazing how creative some people are and to what lenth's they will go to "make it your own" i ride a 40 minute commute each way to work everyday, logged 7,300 mile's and this bike isn't even a year old. so "form follow's function for me" it's getting colder in the morning's when i go to work the windscreen take's the edge off, work's for me!

Stevenc150
09-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Fido: Hey ya'll keep it nice because if we have to whip them out, I'll win hand down...or up or sideways doesn't matter, we all know I got the biggest juevos on here. I mean come on it's ME! To each their own, as long as you preach about your mod being yours and on your bike that's cool I'll tolerate, now when someone tries to push a mod on you hardcore, then you can hate on them.

Okay, the first part....about having the biggest juevos [confused]....we'll leave those where they lay......or hang......whatever. But the second part I'll agree. :)

Deon B
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
FIDOSOL, ARE YOU 'BRAGGING' OR 'MAONING'!!

FIDOSOL
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Deon, both, Big eggs are no joke, JUEVOS Means EGGS!!!
I only have Extra Large, 2 in the morning, 2 at lunch and 2 in the evening. I have 4 extra on workout days...

Ya'll got dirty minds.:D

Odin
09-29-2008, 04:36 PM
I have the extended one from ASB that Lefox showed in the picture. Instead of wind hitting me in the chest, it's about halfway up my helmet. I think i'd like one even better if it was maybe another 1.5" taller or so , to miss the helmet completely. But it's still better for me on the highway. also when i turn my head to look behind me, the helmet no longer gets blown around in the wind. I think the color match is great (trans-red) and still looks good on the bike.

XBear9S
09-29-2008, 05:42 PM
One of the best flyscreen mods I've ever seen was made from a modified S-1 screen. They drilled wholes @ the bottom to wrap the lenses and custom painted it to match the rest of the bike. It was a quite a bit longer than the stock flyscreen and it seemed to match the bike well enuf to look stock except that the gauges don't match so that's not completely clean from the cockpit. Honestly only barely noticed that though...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"I hear them Buells a-comin',
They're rumblin' 'round the bend.
Man I ain't popped a wheelie,
Since I don't know when..."

--Johnny CashBuelly

Strada
10-01-2008, 08:14 PM
I can offer this if anyone is interested - fully adjustable for height and tilt.
Works a treat and easy to remove if you don't want touring mode!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Palmer-Bracket/XBCityX1.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Palmer-Bracket/XBCityX2.jpg

FIDOSOL
10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
That's neat, does it bolt throught the flyscreen or does it mount another way?

Strada
10-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi, it requires 4 small holes to be drilled in the flyscreen but I can supply some descreet blanking plugs.
The picture is my mates bike and like several other riders who've emailed me about doing a kit for the XB (my Ulysses kit is very popular), was fed up with only being able to ride for a limited period at motorway speeds and lack of wind/weather protection.

Deon B
10-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Strada, this extension looks great and could work well.

Odin, the extension on my bike works well due to the spacing of the screen that allows for airflow to fill the gap between the rider and the screen, I do however also find the wind hitting me just below my helmet and this creates a buffeting sound that could damage your ears if you do not wear earplugs, I also think that to increase the height with +- 2cm will be better.

I find that I can also more freely turn my head on high speed [160 kph] with minimum effort; I have a peak on my helmet that has a great influence on high speed

XBear9S
10-05-2008, 03:39 AM
It looks like air would come under it?
No?

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"Old age is the most unexpected of all the things that happen to a
Buellie."

> --Leon S2-T(rotsky)

Strada
10-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Yes, air does come up between the screen and cowl but this helps balance the pressure created by the screen and help with turbulence behind it.
My main aim is to keep the screen as small as possible to provide the optimum wind protection whilst limiting turbulence for rider AND passenger - what works best for the rider might have a drastic downside for the pillion.
I've tested this same principle on my Ulysses for nearly 7000 miles now and the results are simply fantastic. High speeds can be maintained for as long as necessary without adjusting riding position or extra effort to hold onto the bars.

2003buellxb9s
11-10-2008, 01:49 PM
has anyone completely removed the flyscreen and gauges etc. etc..?
i've heard of some headlights that just clamp on to the triple tree and i'd really like to basically rip off the fly screen and all the gauges and just have one of those..

justiz00
11-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Sheesh, this place is worse than xlforum when it comes to mods. Here is a fork-mounted headlight option link.

http://www.aztec8.com/id76.html

Mcnasty
11-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Hmm.... Cool site

papas
11-29-2008, 12:16 AM
has anyone used the Zero Gravity screen shown in side profile on post #3 by LeFox?

It says 4.5" higher than stock. This doesn't seem enough to make a difference.

We ride alot in the winter and some chest/head protection w/o excessive buffeting is desired....d'uh! we rarley go over 80MPH....it's illegal, ya know?

;-)

steve

Odin
12-03-2008, 02:18 AM
Yeah i have it. posted about it -read 10 posts back from yours ;)