PDA

View Full Version : First off-road trip

Buellysses
09-15-2008, 02:10 AM
So, out cruising around today and came across a dirt road. Never taking my bike off-road I figured I would give it a try. Ended up in some pretty slippery mud and a little bit of beach sand. Almost went down once. We made it though.

I got a pretty weird look from the guy fishing on the beach when I rumbled up. lol

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2120_20080914185954_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2120_20080914185945_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2120_20080914185936_L.jpg

LeFox
09-15-2008, 11:29 AM
if you liked doing it, i would recommend other tires ;)

nice pics :)

Sayjackb
09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I have to agree... Granted i didn't go "Off roading" but when i did have to drive a ways in loose soil, bark, and gravel at south lake Tahoe i was very impressed with my Scg's stability... Nothing like watching a my buddy drag his feet on his jap bike. I just worked the clutch an plugged along. Didn't even feel loose.

FIDOSOL
09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey Sayjackb, I know what you mean, I was out looking for Sweet Flag (it's an herb(as in for cooking not drugs)) at Douglas Lake here on Fort Knox, I took my bike out on loose deep gravel, dirt, leaves and branches all over, roads and I didn't have any problems at all, but the people fishing looked at me like I had lost my mind. One group told me I was scaring the fish away with my exhaust (I have a stock exhaust) but they were blasting music from their car, so WTF? I think I'll take pics next time, I really enjoyed it I must have been riding around back there for a good hour or more, very peaceful..

Trooper
09-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Throw a knobby on that thing and get some pics of big ass rooster tails, you know it will. There must be somebody out there that has made an Enduro out of one.

Sayjackb
09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Any one ever stick some meats on an Scg? Aside of being a bit shorter then a Uly. how does the it handel in the lose stuff? Might be a fun game

Buellysses
09-17-2008, 02:28 AM
I dunno, I think it would be an adventure to try to take any speed through dirt with a Uly or an 'S'... They are just way to heavy.

I touched the front brake and almost snapped my leg trying to keep the bike up.

I guess if you didn't care if it went down it would be a ball out on the sand messing with the dirt bikers. An even better way to get more "WTF was that" looks out of your Buell.

FIDOSOL
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey Buellysses, this is where brake/clutch play really come into their own, great way to work on that is to take it out in the sand/deep gravel. I NEVER and I repeat NEVER touch the front brake while off roading, off roading is not about speed!!!!!!!!!!!! It's about getting through the obstacles. I used to dirt bike alot.

SLOW is SMOOTH
SMOOTH is FAST

FAST is ME...

jhaynes
11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I live in the sandy southwest. Uly seems very unsteady on sand! I learned the hard way (kissing sand) about the front break! Any other tips? Not the best bike for sand, but the best all-around I have ever owned (30+ years of rining). There are many long back roads here that I want to explore!