PDA

View Full Version : Spammers everywhere.

FIDOSOL
04-12-2012, 02:44 AM
I've edited/deleted no less than 45 spam posts today. If I have missed any post them here so that I may attend to them at my earliest convenience. Also, buellxb, what would it take to qualify me to personally be enabled to drop the ban hammer on people? I wouldn't use it on anyone that wasn't a spammer without your express permission. I absolutely hate spam, it has no place in our forum.

Lesley
04-12-2012, 04:18 AM
I absolutely hate spam, it has no place in our forum.
I too hate it but I fear that it is automated. So when any of us even click on a thread and view, we have been noticed by said automater. Which in turn only results in more spamming. More than likely it finds a way in through all of the adverstising done here. I belong to a local 2 wheeler board and it too gets spammed,but nowhere near the amount I see on this site. Here lately it seems there are like 10-15 new spam post every morning [down]

Timeless
04-12-2012, 06:34 AM
Likely, if the messages are automatically generated, which many likely are, the spam is finding holes in the forums code and getting in through there. There are services that can help minimize entry points.

One way to help minimize the spam would be at the time of generating a new account, asking a question that buellers would know. NJ Buell owners asks something along the lines of "What is Erik Buell's new bike?"

One of those little convoluted graphics with squiggles and letters and a prompt asking one to type in the letters might help too.

The above might help deter most spam.

Thaloc
04-12-2012, 06:48 AM
U got my support. I just made a thread about this a few days ago. Drives me ****ing crazy

anrkizm95
04-12-2012, 05:18 PM
its gotten worse over the last year.even added more mods dosnt seem to be anything anyone can do about it.

nativeXb12Rbuell
04-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Die die spam die spam.

BitchinXb
04-12-2012, 06:18 PM
ONLY SPAM I WANT, IS ON MY SAMMICH

netty2424
04-12-2012, 08:35 PM
I too hate it but I fear that it is automated. So when any of us even click on a thread and view, we have been noticed by said automater. Which in turn only results in more spamming

I've always wondered about this as well. Most of them seem to be selling counterfeit stuff, but there aren't usually links to actually buy anything, just text rambling. I've wondered what is really happening when we click on their thread? How far do they get? And does it open doors into our personal computers we're using?

buellxb
04-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Sorry all and thanks FIDOSOL. We have sneaky spam protection stuff, but it's not good enough to catch it all. I ban when I can. I wish I could give the mods ban ability, but I'd have to pay my developer to make that an option.

Please PM me with the name of the spammers so I can add them to the ban list and hopefully slow it down a little.

FIDOSOL
04-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Talk to your developer and see if he can give you a solid figure. If so, ask for donations from the forum members. I am sure we could come up with the necessary funds to help better the forum.