PDA

View Full Version : fork rebuild

rndrkeagle
09-17-2008, 02:38 AM
hey BPG... (and anyone else that has any advice on this subject...) I THINK I have a leaking fork. I'm not 100% sure on that... I'm getting a lot of oily black soot all over the right side of my front wheel so I guess the problem COULD be the front caliper too... if anyone has a good way to determine which one is the problem I'd really appreciate the help.

Assuming the problem IS the fork... is that something I can do a rebuild on? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and reading through the section in the service manual it seems as though I should be able to do it. but it's always those things that happen unexpectedly that get ya... my questions are..

1. Can you help me to know what parts I'll need and what they'll cost? (it's an '04 XB12R)
2. Do I absolutely have to get and use the Fork Spring Compression Tool (PN HD-45966) ? and if so how much is that sucker gonna run me?
3. I'm using the service manual for the '05 firebolt from this website but I seem to recall noting that at some point in the between '02 and '05 they changed from 41MM to 43MM to 45MM forks? I don't recall all of the exact numbers or years but the '05 manual mentions 43MM forks.. if the '04 was 41MM am I going to find them to be very different than the 43MM in the book? (Obviously the rebuild kit will differ I assume, but is ig going to be a different assembly than the book shows? )

Has anyone else done a rebuild on their forks? more importantly... I guess this is all a moot point if the likelihood is that my problem is the brake caliper... I guess if nothing else I could clean all the grime off the wheel and fork and rebuild the caliper first and see if the problem goes away.. ?

bad juju
09-17-2008, 05:44 AM
04 xb12r is a 41 mm!i beleive the fork service is the same as the 43 mm service just the size is the only change.you will need the fork spring compressor,and a 41 mm seal driver fork fluid should be changed every 10,000,new seals with that i suggest doing both forks since your already there as far as the oil on the fork is a pretty good sign of a blown seal most blown seals happin from trailering the unit strapping the unit down to tight will blow the seals im not sure about the soot!you said its on the wheel and unlees the fork is leaking to terribly it sounds like a brake issue.