PDA

View Full Version : Buying Advice

paerez
09-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Hey all,

First post here on the forums. I have read at least 50% of the posts in the Blast section before posing my questions to you guys directly.

I just completed Rider's Edge and I loved the blast. I think it's because I didn't fit in with the Harley crowd but I don't feel like a sport-bike kind of person either. The blast is great right in between.

So, now I know I want to buy a Blast. The question is how to go about getting one. I visited my local Harley dealership and they didn't have any on the floor. I figured I'd ask about the 08s since I can probably shave a couple hundred off since the 09s should be in soon.

I would finance the new blast, which would not be a problem for me to afford.

I could also pick up a rider's edge bike for 3kish (I think). I was worried about those bikes though. Should they be properly broken in? The rider's edge bike I rode had 400 miles on it. I'm sure it had been really thrashed in those classes and I'm worried that it's just going to have tons of problems, etc. That's why I was considering a new blast.

Lastly, I could get a used one from a dealer or from craigslist, but that really scares me since I don't know the first thing about maintenance. I could save 2k, but if I end up spending that much in maintenance it doesn't make sense.

OK so I'll wrap it up: I know Blasts are very low maintenance and dependable, but can a previous owner (who was probably a beginner) thrashing the bike cause permanent maintenance issues?

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate all your help.

-Nick

chadprepton
09-18-2008, 03:08 AM
Hi Nick,

Just last Feb. I was in your shoes. I did the rider's edge course to try out the blast and I didn't know if I was a sport bike rider or a cruiser rider.

Buying a blast new or used comes down to opinion really. A new one would be great as you know there is a 2 year warranty on the bike and that no one else but you has broken it in. However, they have a price point that is a little on the high side and as you have found out, 09's are hard to find so you don't get a big discount on 08s.

Now a used one it good as the cost goes down (even 50% in some cases) but of course you can get a bad bike...and if this is your first time buying a bike you should bring someone with you who knows what to look for. And yes, any bike that is treated badly can have problems down the rode.

Call around and try to find a good price on a slightly used one. I found an 03' that had 350 miles on it, so it was still being broken in and with a paint job I have never seen before.

All that said,you couldn't PAY ME to own a rider's edge bike, go back their on a weekend and look at how often the engines lug and the bikes are dropped, not to mention braking in the bike.

Hope that helps, but bottom line its all up to you,

Chad

paerez
09-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Hey Chad, thanks for the tips.

Right now I was leaning towards a new one for the reasons you mentioned (specifically the warranty and low-risk of boneheaded use).

It's actually pretty easy to afford if I just sell me soul to 5 years of financing, and that's what I may do.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Stevenc150
09-18-2008, 03:37 AM
New is definitely peace of mind. But sometimes you can find a really good deal. Got my '06 XB12S 3 months ago, 1400 miles on it, from a lady that said it scared her.....$5800 and in pristine condition. But believe me, it took quite a bit of patience and searching, but worked out for me. ;)

Good luck with whatever you do and ride safe.

ezblast
09-18-2008, 03:52 AM
I've bought both ways - anything 2003 and over is pretty bullet proof, RE bikes should be test ridden - if smooth shifting for a Blast and no leaks, then it may be worth buying.
EZ

paerez
09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
I found out from the dealer that they only have one 09 in the area, and other than that I'd have to wait 6 months. And the interest rate was higher than I expected ...

Also, they said that they don't fix up RE bikes anymore because the cost to fix them is prohibitive, so they can't turn a profit.

Looks like I'm going for a used one!

Thaloc
09-18-2008, 07:21 PM
FIREBOLT!
Just my opinion though;)

FIDOSOL
09-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Whatever you do don't buy anything the first time you look at it, go see it, test ride it, and give it a day or two so you can let the "WOW I can take this home?" feeling. Just DOn't jump on the first thing you can afford and be happy with it, you may regret it later. When you come back to look at it, really nitpick (in your head) anything that is possibly wrong with it....paint, ding, mirrors, signals, dirt, etc. If you decide that it is really what you are looking for then go for it.

ezblast
09-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Concur!

paerez
09-19-2008, 03:16 AM
I found an 02 blast with 2400 miles for $2700. I'm going to go check it out and if it all looks right, I'm going to give him $45 to get it inspected. If that comes back positive and I still want it a few days later, I'll go for it.

I would do a firebolt if I could crap money, but I'm still working on that theory. I'll probably graduate to a bigger one in a year or two, and pass of this blast to someone else.

Thanks

chadprepton
09-19-2008, 03:29 AM
Good luck, and if you have a friend that is into bikes take him with you, saved my butt from making a bad choice.

paerez
09-19-2008, 03:35 AM
My friend is also going around looking for a blast. We did the RE together and are now both getting blasts. We're going to drive each other to get each other's bikes.

I was just looking at the firebolts and lightnings b/c of Thaloc's post. Only now realizing they're almost the same length and weight as the blast. Looking at them in the showroom I thought they were huge.

ezblast
09-19-2008, 02:53 PM
actually with fluids they are 45lbs heavier.
EZ

paerez
09-19-2008, 04:47 PM
ah yeah I didn't take the gas tank sizes into account. Good call.

BEGIN NOOB ALERT
Does 45lbs on a 400lb bike make a big difference
END NOOB ALERT

Thanks for all the tips, EZ

AdHoc
09-19-2008, 08:34 PM
I've definitely get anxious as hell when it comes to spending over $500. I'm going with paerez to check out Blasts. Before I will decide to buy anything I need to at least try out another standard bike.

ezblast
09-20-2008, 03:19 AM
I think gaining experience on the Blast before moving up to a XB or superbike would be a wiser choice anyway - the Blast will teach you nothing but good riding habits - at least for sport bike riding - and grow to a certain degreewith your skill level - lol
EZ[cool]

paerez
09-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey guys,

I bought the blast from that guy! I haggled him down a bit more since he was asking a bit much, but it's in my garage now and I'm getting title+tags today.

Thanks for all your help.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2511_20080930090631_L.jpg

FIDOSOL
09-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice, post up some more pics when you get the chance. RIdinG PICS!!! :D