PDA

View Full Version : Buell lightning XB12s for a beginner ?

redlinez33
04-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey I am considering buying a Buell Lightning xb12s...however I was concerned about that being a first bike? I have ridden dirt bikes and taken a riders course before, would this be a bad choice? Mainly the only thing I am worried about is the low end tq... Thanks for the help

maybebuell
04-16-2007, 08:36 PM
wont be a problem..no more then any other street bike....you go to small and in a month you will be kicking yourself in the ass ..that its to small....

buellxb
04-16-2007, 09:26 PM
You'll be fine. I rode a Honda CBR 600 f4 for my first bike. I only had it for a couple months. I didn't ride for the next five years. I had to sell it because I was in college and broke, but now that I make a little money I went with a 2005 Buell Lightning XB12Scg. The power band is smooth. I ordered mine on eBay and jumped on it right off the truck. Six months later I'm still alive, but I don't ride it like it was made to be ridden. You can see what happens to pros like BuellPartsGuy on his Bad Accident post when you push these amazing motorcycles. Be careful and don't go to extreme and you'll be fine.

Leathercash
04-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Uh, I gotta disagree. There is the risk of being "bored" with something small.like a 250, or even a 500 Honda, Kawasaki, or even a Suzuki sell very low cc engine's that pack a huge punch. On the other hand Buell motorcycles are very easy to handle,esp in the city. Street bike's are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than dirt bikes, both are fun, but on the road with other ass-hole drivers is another thing. My advice, even though it may not matter, try LOTS of bikes bro, all makes and models, find one your comfortable with. A 1203 cc engine for a first street bike??? Not a good idea.

B_Brad
04-17-2007, 01:12 AM
I think any of the Buell models will be fine. The bikes power is very smooth unlike most inline fours that will build slow and kick in like a wild banshee. Get what you want, ride within your limits and you will be fine. If you go with a rice rocket I would not go more than a six hundred for a first bike. My good friend wanted to buy a CBR 1000rr for a first bike. I talked him out of the 1000 and he bought a gsxr 600 which he admits scares him occasionally. Like you he had rode dirt bikes and was confident in his abilities to handle a street bike. If you get a Buell or a six rice rocket you will be happy for many years. I doubt you will be able to push any of these bikes to there limits within a few short years.

Brad

buellxb
04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
A 1200cc Buell is not twice as powerful as a 600cc Honda. Buells don't rev very high, and that's where Honda and the others make power, in the high rev area. My CBR 600 was my first bike. I had no lessons or previous riding experience. I drove an hour and half away from campus to pick up the bike. I stalled it three times in the parking lot before I went back inside and asked the salesman to show me how to ride this thing home. My first ride was an hour and a half road trip home on the interstate. I'm not saying that was smart, but IMO people have more trouble when they get cocky or feel over confident on a motorcycle. I was terrified all the way back to campus, so I was super aware of my surroundings and the traffic around me. I would suggest at least an hour test drive and a good read through the BMV manual before you hit the road, but I wouldn't say a Buell is any more difficult to ride than my Honda CBR was. I asked the same questions on other forums before I bought mine. I thought a 1200 would toss me like a bull rider, but it's nothing like that. Head to a dealer and ask for a test drive.

v12tiger
04-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Buellxb is def right. Redlinez, I guess it depends on the dirt bikes u rode before also.. The 12 is def not too big for a first bike. Mine is my first bike, I've got 1200 mi and only 4 mo. under my belt on it and the power has not scared me so far. I had to get a race kit because I thought it was lacking in quickness. Now i spend most of my days working down my chicken strips, and trying to use the torque and low center of gravity to my advantage in the curves.

redlinez33
04-17-2007, 04:04 AM
Thanks so much for all the input... Yeah my major concern would just be fallin on the throttle and flippin, but i guess that could happen with any bike..Yea i consider my self a pretty calm rider...but Im now stuck between the xb12s and a GSX 600. Thanks again

GMAN
04-17-2007, 07:43 PM
xb12s and gsx 600 dont have nothing to do with each oithermNOTHING,the Buell is a super FUn bike,but never underestimate these toque full1200 cc. its a very powerfull bike , if you are calmyoull handle it,but its a quick responce bike!

mrdozer2you
04-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Either the firebolt or the lightning would be fine for you. Since you are used to riding dirtbikes then I would suggest the Lightning. You sit a bit more upright, and the handlebar position is similar to an off road bike.