PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Rap

Deon B
09-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Have anyone used any exhaust rap on the exhaust pipes. We have done a few trails and found that there is a definite performance increase and more specific in winter/cold and rainy conditions. The rap is mainly used from the headers to the box to unsure that the pipe remains on a constant heat and exhaust airflow is constant http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/1451_20080917224518_L.jpg

1001yos
09-18-2008, 09:04 AM
What do the pipes look like after the wrap comes off after a period of use? Do look like when you put the wrap on, or get blue? I always wondered...

LeFox
09-18-2008, 09:56 AM
spotted and ugly :o

buell007
09-18-2008, 01:11 PM
very very ugly

BillXB
09-19-2008, 03:08 AM
OK, and I know it works well, not only the performance, but also protects anyone touching the pipe and burn

RHYNOXB9R
09-19-2008, 03:48 AM
Who's going to touch a pipe after the bikes been run?And how smart is that person? To each his own,but if it's performance your after then have the pipe ceramic coated.Much more evenly covered than a wrap and will never pit or uglify your pipe.Just my 2cents.;)

dave_xb12r
09-19-2008, 05:15 AM
I burned myself once.... I felt dumb. I think the advantage of the wrap is it's cheap and easy. I've been thinking about doing it one of these days.

joshs74nova
09-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Same here, I was pulling the bike in the garage, and burned my knee. I think the wrap would be a good idea. Did you take off the headers to do it, or just leave in on the bike?

bmac_206
09-19-2008, 01:54 PM
I wrapped my '05 xb12r with COOL IT THERMO TEC from Jegs. I used the copper impregnated Wrap. My leg loves it!!:D I left my header on the bike. Words of Wisdom: wear long sleeves and gloves!!! It will itch the HELL out of ya!!

Deon B
09-19-2008, 07:13 PM
What I like about this forum is that we have some dynamic discussions and I think there is a helluva lot to learn from experience.

Joshs74nova, It is not necessary to remove anything, just patience and little bit of planning, you need to warp each pipe separate, and where they come together another piece to the bottom

The rear cylinder requires +- 3,5 m, front +-2.5 m and the bottom section 3+m, it all depends how dense the overlaps are

I sourced new exhausts rap with an aluminum sheet that go onto the pipe, this will also ensure that the wrap last longer. The rap does not last when washing the bike with high pressure and if is in on, don’t tamper with it

The exhaust rap come in different colours [sales gimmic] but they 'ALL" go white the moment the pipe heats up, there is quite a lot of smoke for the first 30kms

The ceramic coating is an option, it is unfortunately quite expensive with us, and yes, the warp is something different, isn’t it maybe the reason why we have Buells and not a jap R1 of Fireblade!!!!!!

LeFox
09-19-2008, 08:26 PM
diy header wrap (http://www.buellxb.com/article2127.htm) ;)

RHYNOXB9R
09-20-2008, 02:00 AM
My post sounded worse than I ment,I've burnt myself on my pipes also,and felt dumb.It is almost a right of passage with bikes,mine was on my 02' kx500 dirt bike,while hitting some trails my exhaust bracket came lose,so I grabbed it to see how bad it was,ya,the bike was still running,left melted glove and burnt skin on the pipe.[smirk]

Roccodart440
10-01-2008, 01:58 AM
I hold on to my pipe at intersections to warm my hands.

The wrap looks cool IMO. It also will increase HP, and gets you a little better gas milage. It will make your exhaust sounds better. You lose that header tinny sounds.

Deon B
10-19-2008, 12:41 PM
1001Yos, wrote ; What do the pipes look like after the wrap comes off after a period of use? Do look like when you put the wrap on, or get blue? I always wondered...

We removed the exhuast rap to start fitting or newly developed box and to our surprise, the headers is same colour as before we fitted the rap.

nghbuell
07-21-2011, 09:04 AM
this is my next "to do" on my bike. after i ran my bike my 2 year old son went up to the bike and before i could stop him put 3 fingers on the front header pipe burning him instantly. I felt SO bad! his little fingers sizzled when he touched it. I learned the hard way. :(

SonderMann
07-21-2011, 09:47 AM
this is my next "to do" on my bike. after i ran my bike my 2 year old son went up to the bike and before i could stop him put 3 fingers on the front header pipe burning him instantly. I felt SO bad! his little fingers sizzled when he touched it. I learned the hard way.

Hope your son is OK now! I gues that you wished at that moment that it rather were you who touched the header but not you little son:(.
Seems like naked headers are not only nice but dangerous even if not for you then for other who is less experienced.
It is very hard lesson for your son but now he will be more careful though he is so young. Hope your boy will be fine.

SonderMann
07-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Speaking about Ceramic Coating the Headers...
How much does it cost???[confused]

Lesley
07-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Rap? No I really don't care for that type of music but thanks for asking[up]

SonderMann
07-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Rap? No I really don't care for that type of music but thanks for asking

You do not like Rap??? [confused] It is because you can not cook it :D[cool]

badgerbuell
07-21-2011, 10:34 AM
That sucks ngh. Im always scared of my kids doing that when i get back from a ride. My daughter is smart enough to listen to me, but my son is different. Hope the little guy is alright.

oh9bolt
07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Needs closer overlaps. Around 1/4 inch not a inch.

nghbuell
07-26-2011, 08:45 AM
He's fine guys, he cried for a little while but then after about and hour had completely forgot abou it. thanks for being concerned though :) he did learn and now everytime he sees the bike he says "is hot?" and if i say no he'll climb on and play but if i say yes he's like "oh, its hot! (shaking his head up and down)" and stays away from it. I was his age when i learned that things can be hot...my dad was stick welding and he dropped a stick that was "red" hot and i said thats cool and he didn't hear me so i picked it up with my bare hands.....yeah i can still remember the pain, it instantly blistered up and was sore for weeks. :o

SonderMann
07-26-2011, 09:42 AM
He's fine guys, he cried for a little while but then after about and hour had completely forgot abou it. thanks for being concerned though he did learn and now everytime he sees the bike he says "is hot?" and if i say no he'll climb on and play but if i say yes he's like "oh, its hot! (shaking his head up and down)" and stays away from it. I was his age when i learned that things can be hot...my dad was stick welding and he dropped a stick that was "red" hot and i said thats cool and he didn't hear me so i picked it up with my bare hands.....yeah i can still remember the pain, it instantly blistered up and was sore for weeks.

Yeah NGHBUELL, it is life and similar things happen to many of us when we are unexperienced kids. Glad to hear your son is OK. It is good when the consequences of the hard lessons are not too hard.

BTW speaking about Headers Wrap, I personally do not particularly like the way it looks. Even if it is done OK. Sorry, but the first picture is not the best example. Sorry Deon B :).

Naked header looks much better when polished or ceramic coated in black or silver colours (expensive though).

However there are at least four advantages of Header Wrap:
- Heat Protection (no kid will suffer)
- Performance (stable header temperature and better exhaust gas flow)
- Your leg will not be so overheated while hot day ride (especially slow ride on city lights).
- Rear Cylinder will be at least a little bit less heated with naked Header and it will make its life a bit longer.

- Yeah and it is not too expensive ;)

But the look [smirk]
Anyway tastes differ and somebody may like it.;)