PDA

View Full Version : Blown head gasket??

pitbull
04-17-2012, 02:12 PM
I have only owned it for over a month it has 10k miles and I have not driven it hard. Is this a blown head gasket?
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z100/zachsbat1/IMG_20120417_153621-1.jpg

BitchinXb
04-17-2012, 02:16 PM
nope, it's herpes

GAXB9R
04-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Damn that made me laugh:D

pitbull
04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
That doesn't help any.. I have only done major work to cars so have no idea.

Red93stang
04-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Thats a base gasket. Head gasket is above the cylinder. Yes the jug has to come off. It doesnt look like that bad of a leak??

pierce
04-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Thats the cylinder base gasket, and its hard to tell from that picture what that is. Clean up the bike really well and trace where the leak is coming from. Also, if a gasket is failing, the compression should reflect that. Have you checked the compression?

All in all if you need to replace it I wouldn't sweat it too much. The Blast is quite simple and straightforward in design and very accessible. The only pain would be having to replace all the gaskets in between all the layers.

I agree with Stang - if its not bad, and compression good, don't sweat it. Blasts are tanks, with the exception of the boot and the front motor mount.

pitbull
04-17-2012, 04:50 PM
I can see it leak when its running nothing literally leaks down the side just gasses and a little fluid. And ill check the compression tonight.

Bullxb12r
04-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Definitely a base gasket leak. The compression loss will be minimal since the leak is below where combustion actually takes place. It is mostly sealed off by the piston rings.
The repair is pretty straight forward, I believe there is a section in the service manual that tells you how to rotate the motor sideways to do the job. For someone with moderate ability, the whole job can be done in 5 hours or less.

pierce
04-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Rotate the motor sideways? Please explain.

On second thought, you might want to just run it for now. As Bullxb12r pointed out, in order for compression to be effected you would have to have a major failure in the base gasket. You might be better off leaving it until a rainy day.

You would have to pull the piston from the cylinder and if you are going to do that, it might be a good idea just to replace the rings. My theory is that if you go that deep, you don't want to go back in anytime soon if you don't have to. So then it would require new engine gaskets, perhaps new rings.

pitbull
04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Ok sounds good. I was thinking the nrhs big bore kit if I decide to change it.
Thanks for the correct information.

pierce
04-17-2012, 06:36 PM
I was heading in that direction, but realize its not for everyone. If you go that route, then at some point you should definitely think about headwork, cams, and ignition. Not everything has to be done all at once, but if you have the big bore, then at some point going stage 2 would up the power tremendously. Stock cams are very mild, so swap them out and your blast would be a lot of fun.

Scroll down a bit and I detail the installation procedure. Of course I do it all at once, but there is no need to break the bank. Take it all in stride.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Blast/engine-upgrades

pitbull
04-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the help! This is my daily to work so I would have to do it all in time but I like to work on stuff so no biggy there!

GOduc
04-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Get the same gasket in the unblown model [up]

ezblast
04-19-2012, 12:30 PM
LOL - Try some Marvel Mystery oil - about 3 ounces - see if it will re hydrate the gasket - that works in the majority of cases for the paper gasket bikes, then you just add the same amount once a year.
EZ

pitbull
04-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks!! it worked!

daninr8
11-05-2014, 05:36 PM
What worked, The Marvel Mystery oil or gasket change?