PDA

View Full Version : 07 uly looking to upgrade

mattuly1
04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Hello fellow buellers! new to the forum but not to my uly! bought it new, other than a rear rocker box leak I've had no issues, regular maintenance and inspections go a long way. :) as a auto tech (volvo) I'm not a stranger to turning a wrench, but I havent messed with upgrades on my uly...yet. any suggestions? considering a race ecm, exhaust, and air intake mods to drag out a little more power. hope the wife dont mind. been reading on this site and have been impressed with the support shown to everyone, would love to be a part of this community, and if anyone needs volvo or chrysler advice, I'd do what I can :) Matt

FIDOSOL
04-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the community. That sounds like a good place to start. If you're looking for a little more oomph, you should research whether or not your sprocket is the same as a 12 r/s. If it is you can swap it out for a 9r/s for a very noticeable increase in torque to the wheel.

JOEL9
04-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Put up a pic. of your uly. aftermarket exhaust & ecm are great starting points. Drummer, Hawk are always a goto, also an ebr ecm or the Tuniversity(over on side bar>)) are options. and welcome to the forum[up]

mattuly1
04-18-2012, 04:43 PM
all great ideas, thank you both! I'm goin to research the sprocket swap tonite. I visited the tuniversity earlier and I was impressed with his site and testimonials, I bought the buell diagnostic tool from american sportbike and I will load that into my laptop tonite as well, thanks again for the ideas, I got lots to go on now! :)

user_deleted
04-19-2012, 05:42 AM
i bought my 2007 Uly last fall with 2900 miles on it, now have about 4100 on it and is a wonderful bike. other than soft luggage and tank bag that i added, only perf mods i did was breather reroute with hayden power valve inline and a hawk muffler. i would love to do the ECM mod to get rid of the slightly annoying low speed leanness surging but don't have laptop to do it. other than that, a wonderful reliable bullet-proof bike.

mattuly1
04-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Lunaticfringe, Thats right, My uly has been bullet proof too! almost up to 7000mi on mine and I cant wait to get the leak fixed and get on it again! joel9, I'll get a pic up asap. and a big thanks to all of you for the welcome, you've got a great thing going here! :)

user_deleted
04-20-2012, 07:27 AM
matt: i assume you'll be rotating your motor to fix the rear rocker box area leak, clean cooling fan, etc???? you can use search tab near top of page but i have the link to the best engine rotation step by step procedure ever posted on here. PM me if you want the link or email me at scootertrash196 at yahoo.com having this info makes the engine rotation actually quite simple.

JOEL9
04-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Lunatic, can you post that rotation link here, i'm interested[up]

user_deleted
04-20-2012, 07:49 AM
here ya go joel. best one i ever saw. happy rotating.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-to-Rotate-your-engine--With-Pics

JOEL9
04-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks lunatic[up] thats the one i've been looking at (wiznut), looks pertty straight forward.

mattuly1
04-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Yeah! thanks joel! that rotation procedure is very straight forward, the only thing I noticed is the throttle cables, I got the manual too and nowhere in the instructions does it mention disconnecting the cables, I did, only cause I was sure there wasnt enough free cable to let the engine all the way down. I'm almost there, should have the engine resealed tomorrow and start the reinstall.Thanks for posting that, it really helped a lot. saw one on youtube of a gentleman removing rear shock and fan to access rear header bolts too, I'm pleasantly surprised to find this machine fairly simple. and I'll change the plugs while I'm in there. :)

mattuly1
04-21-2012, 07:32 PM
You guys ever use the Vehicle Diagnostic Scantool? I just loaded it into my laptop, looks ok, I'll hook it up after I get my uly running again, and let you know how it goes. I dont think I can create maps with it, looks like I can diagnose, erase codes and activate some stuff in the ecm. hehehe [up]

rdkingryder
04-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Matt, just did the XB9 swap.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Ulysses-XB12x/Ulysses-Engine-Noise

I like it so far, but have not gotten to freeway speeds yet to see where the rpm differences from the stock setup. Snappier off the line for sure and doesn't feel like it's launching off in second anymore.

Lunatic, nice write up on engine rotation, good photos and explanation.

mattuly1
04-22-2012, 07:03 PM
A big thanks to all you guys! the write ups and posts helped a whole lot, a big thanks to my friend scott for helping me with the job, the uly is back up and running down to the tank bag and I cant wait to get out there! :)