PDA

View Full Version : Broken throttle cable

ebes67
04-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Changed the oil today and put in a K&N air filter. While I was in there, I decided it would be a good day to do the breather reroute also. When I took the bottom of the airbox off, I noticed that the metal housing on the throttle cable, right where it meets the jam nut, is broken off. I have no idea how long it's been this way, but Ive never noticed anything weird with the throttle. Looking at the service manual, it appears to be a pain to change that out. Am I asking for trouble leaving it alone? Anybody seen this before?

Thanks,
Sean

snrusnak
04-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure I understand exactly where it broke....but there is a "pull" cable and a "push" cable. You really ought to have both seeing as the pull cable is what is normally used to open the throttle. I assume your push cable broke since you aren't experiencing problems with throttle operation. You really ought to have it though like I said, it is a safety measure. If the pull cable breaks then the throttle will stick open (without a push cable) and could cause an accident, etc. If you have an operable push cable then you can rotate the throttle closed and close the throttle body, slowing the engine to idle.

Bottom line, definitely fix it, it shouldn't cost much (just a guess but maybe $25-$50) and shouldn't take more than 30 to 60 minutes to replace. Well worth the time and money to possibly save your life at some point. JMO...

Also, if you lube your cables every time you change your oil you will never have to replace them.

anrkizm95
04-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Bottom line, definitely fix it, it shouldn't cost much [up]

ebes67
04-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Ok, will do. Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.

I'll try to find the part somewhere and dig into it this weekend. When I do, I'll try to snap a couple pictures to illustrate what broke.

snrusnak
04-23-2012, 08:08 AM
It should look something like this:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m589/snrusnak/Buell/2012-04-05191142.jpg

The top cable (closest to the camera) is the pull cable I believe, and the lower cable (furthest from the camera) is the push cable I believe. Notice the top cable is installed in place correctly, the lower cable had come out of it's "sheath" or "housing", whatever you want to call it.

Once you get a part number, check out lshd1.com surdyke.com and ebay for best price.

Cherry_Bomb
04-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I'd fix it, last thing u want it to get a stuck throttle. Do u have a firebolt or lightning bc they are dif lengths. If u have a lightning I'm selling a used throttle cable that I pulled off my lightning when I went to crossroads bars, cable was too long so I went to a firebolt cable. Anyways I'm selling mine, 10 bucks and its urs. Here's my ad http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sale/Buell-Parts-for-Sale/Buell-OEM-parts/Stock-XB-Parts-fsft

ebes67
04-23-2012, 07:47 PM
It looks a bit different than what is pictured above. It appears to be on the push side. If I could figure out how to post pictures, I'd show you.

I was trying to google the part number and came across a comment on Badweb about the '08s getting a new throttle cable assembly. Anybody know the part number?

I also saw a comment warning people how easy it is to break it when rotating the engine. Given that the dealership lowered it last fall to change rocker box gaskets, I'm betting they broke it at that time (not that they would ever admit fault anyway).

ebes67
04-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Part number found.
Throttle Open cable (N0307.3AK)
Throttle Closed cable (N0308.3AK)

snrusnak
04-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Ok, sorry didn't know there was a difference (mine's a 2005).

Makes sense about the dealer breaking it...

Cherry_Bomb
04-24-2012, 06:35 AM
This is helpful too from American spirtbike with part #'s. Idle is the push cable and throttle is the pull cable. http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/17136.html