PDA

View Full Version : I WTB new GPR stabilizer

Lesley
04-25-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm willing to spend as much as $75.00 + shipping ($4.87 max)

no substitutions/firm on offer/Must be gold or black

Much thanks
p.s.I'm sick of the tank slappers [mad]

oh9bolt
04-25-2012, 08:49 PM
GLWT ;)

vtech007
04-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Let me know if you find that deal - I will buy two, and I am not even kidding! Please. I am serious.

GPR Stabilizer group deal (http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sale/Buell-Parts-for-Sale/Buell-Aftermarket-Parts/GPR-Stabilizers/13/)

Lesley
04-26-2012, 04:00 AM
I hear you vtech!! I was joking but then again not. I seen the group buy thread. $376.00?? NO thanks.

I never ride track anyway but I like the looks of the GPR.

Thanks for the link
:)

vtech007
04-26-2012, 04:52 AM
From the reviews I've read, posts on other bike forums, etc., the GPR is good for more than just track / race / competition. Even on bikes already standard equiped with a stabalizer (which my other bike is).

Lesley
04-26-2012, 05:17 AM
the GPR is good for more than just track / race / competition
Let me rephrase my sentiments then. I do NOT ride above 80mph.Ever :D Serioulsy. Thank you for your info though :)

This is just a joke thread. Not ranting or complaining.

Thaloc
04-26-2012, 05:38 AM
Lol.

Unless your lofting the front end, i have no idea why anyone buys a stabalizer for a buell. I have only had head shake once and i was being an idiotic hooligan, and never had a tank slapper. What a waste of 400 bones, but i guess some people just cant hold onto their moniez

Lesley
04-26-2012, 05:42 AM
What a waste of 400 bones
[up]

netty2424
04-26-2012, 08:03 AM
For me it's just another measure of insurance. I'm tall with long arms and long legs which places my weight farther back towards the tail of the bike which essentially lightens the front wheel. Couple that with a big bore, it doesn't take much for the front wheel to get light. I don't wheelie and I don't do track days, but I have had wobbles in hard accelerations from both passing cars on two lane highways and also riding proactively and aggressively to avoid potentially bad situations, i.e. a merging vehicle who either doesn't see me or doesn't look.

If $376 prevents me from going down which will cost you more in repairs than the price of the stabilizer, it's money we'll spent. Let's not forget about potential hospital bills and down time from riding, or worse missing work. How many times have we seen guys on here go down, have $500-1,000 in repairs? not saying a stabilizer would've prevented those situations, but if it were to prevent one, I bet that dude would tell you it's money well spent.

Its not about being able to hold onto money for me, it's about trying to protect myself from the uncontrollable unforeseen accident caused by something that may be preventable.

Saying that's a waste of money is like saying I'm not going to wear a helmet because I don't plan on crashing, or I'm not paying for insurance because I don't expect my bike to get stolen. Just insurance for me.

My $0.02. [up]

oh9bolt
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
[down]

Thaloc
04-26-2012, 08:11 AM
I spose in your case it makes sense. Im only 5'10 165lbs, ythe only time I had head shake was when I crossed fouur lanes of (empty) road at 130. It was one of those arced roads so the water could run off easy. As I crested the miiddle, the front end ggot ever so slightly light and gave me a bit of head shake.

My old FZR600 was notorious for head shake under the mildest of circumstanses. One of the first mods i did to it was a stabalizer. Iif its something you think could possible wreck you, then yes, its well worth the money. If your buying it cause you one of those guys who has to add everything under the sun to his bike to be that"see and be seen" kinda guy, well.....

firefighter1c57
04-26-2012, 08:33 AM
My first Firebolt had a dampener on it when I bought it. The current one does not, and I will put one on it as soon as I have the funds for it. Putting one on her bike too. Around here, the rain grooved roads, constant construction, and my occasional hard acceleration have made the front end wobble way to many times.

It's a unique perspective to go from having one to not. Most people go the other way.

Lesley
04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
well either you guys are riding way too fast or your bikes have been wrecked and now have frame damage because mine has never even came close to a wobble.

I hear and understand what you are saying netty but I have to disagree.
TOTALLY over priced and waste of money.

christianmb
04-26-2012, 10:15 AM
I have had headshake at 95 once, and it scared the hell out of me. I backed off, the shake went away, and when I got home, I gave the bike another good once over. I was 3 PSI low in the front because I didn't account for the temp change. It wasn't much, but enough. I have never had it other than that, even with yanking the front wheel under WOT acceleration from a stop.

my $.02

JOEL9
04-26-2012, 10:32 AM
if everyone keeps putting they're $0.02 in Lesley, you'll have enough to get one:D

Lesley
04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
if everyone keeps putting they're $0.02 in Lesley, you'll have enough to get one
ding dong dang it you blew my cover.LOL

jasonxb9
04-26-2012, 11:14 AM
The 3psi comment doesn't really make sense about the temp change because as the temp goes up so does the pressure. I will be buying one as soon as I have the funds as well, sounds like cheap insurance to me as well, with how scarce parts are getting for these things not to mention how expensive it is up here in Canada, not to mention if it's a total write off... I totally respect everyone else's opinion on not having one as well, but I will for sure be buying one once funds allow.

vtech007
04-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Like I say, I have a (non-Buell) bike that came standard-equiped with a steering stabilizer, so I will be adding a GPR to my Buell, and eventually upgrading the "stock" stabilizer to the GPR unit because of its unique adjust-on-the-fly feature.

There are mod threads on the forum for that other bike that deal with changing the oil to a heavier weight to increase the damping.

vtech007
04-26-2012, 07:24 PM
I have been riding for four decades. A steering stabilizer can totally transform the ride of your bike.