PDA

View Full Version : 08 uly issue

budn2718
04-28-2012, 08:22 AM
I just recently added a drummer ss and a ebr ecm tuned to drummer ss to my 08 uly. When i first took the bike out it was a beast, but by the time i returned from my 15 min ride it refused to lift front wheel and would not run clean through the rpms till about 6000-7000 it would smooth out. Even before the mods the bike would have good days and bad days as far as power, and would get the odd stumble at cruisind speeds. Want the beast back. So far I have checked for codes (zero) installed new plugs, performed intake leak check, checked grounds tight, performed tps reset.

any help would be great...thanks

uly luigi
04-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Might have gotten the wrong ECM from EBR, give them a call, did you change the O2 sensor, how many miles on it, did you run it without the ECM with the Drummer? do you have a free flowing filter (K&N)? A little more info will help.

BuellyBagger
04-28-2012, 01:00 PM
definetly call EBR could be a prgramming fluke. even if its not they might be able to point u in the right direction. Post the fix when u find it for sure. This is a wierd one.

budn2718
04-28-2012, 04:24 PM
the bike has 11000 miles on it, and yes brand new kn filter. I ran with the stock ecm also before the new one came in and acted the same, good power then would lose power and stumble abit. Already contacted ebr and they directed me toward faulty air temp sensor because the bike was running well at first. I did not change o2 sensor. I am now going to pull filter mounting plate off and inspect wires and connectors in there and start replacing sensors one by one till i get it. At least i will have some spare sensors down the road.

jriffe108
04-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Bud, Very similar issue to mine. 08 XB12Scg, all factory, Added EBR Race Muffler, K&N, thing was a beast, very shortly after, 100 miles, running like crap.

Tired EBR ECM to no avail. Checked all wiring, bench tested IAC, IAT, TPS, etc. Only thing I havent done is O2 replacement. Having a different problem with fuel injector now.

Keep us advised.

budn2718
04-29-2012, 05:15 PM
today checked for worn wires and disconnected what I could find and reconnect it, loosened ground wires gave them a wiggle then tightened them back up. removed airfilter mounting plate and did the same.

Went for a 3 hour ride with couple buddies and the bike was awesome. Power and clean quick revving. My buddy let his 600 jap sport bike go, and to my surprise the buell was all over it. Then back to normal cruising. But the last half hour of the ride the problem came back. Now im wondering if i touched something today to make it run good, or was it chance that it ran good for awhile.

budn2718
05-07-2012, 08:50 AM
air intake sensor changed...no difference. tps is on order. After that will be fuel pump.

jimijeans
05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Recheck the TPS reset, it's an 08/Ulysses so it is fast to do (key turn method,) plus it won't hurt it . You can also hook up the Newer Version of EcmSpy for the 08+ buells and check the degrees of TPS in different Throttle positions this way you will know if TPS sensor is worn. Never hook up the [older] EcmSpy to an 08+ Buell motorcycle.
If it continues to not perform properly [the]-(RACE)style Ecm, then e-mail Erik Buell Racing.com with your Questions. I have had to send a few back over the years! They always make it right.
While [waiting] on that If you have the time Put the Stock ECM back on do a TPS reset and take it for a 20/to 30/minute ride and try to find a streach of road you can go through all the gears. Watch out for Lawdogs! You can Test Measure your fuel lines /pump pressure it should be fine,depending on wear,unless there is like 25'000.-miles on the Engine or something and the fuel filter has never been changed. The Stock ECM will still let the Exhaust pop on decelleration but will not hurt the Engine.
This way if you don't have any problems with your Stock ecm then you can still ride while the problem is being sorted out. There are some manuals here on the Forum to go through. Take your time & good luck.*Jimi

budn2718
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Jim, put the stock ecm back in today and she is running pretty good. What i dont understand is how a ecm (ebr) can run perfect for two hours than start to run like crap. I did send ebr a email explaining that the bike runs fine on stock ecm and i believe that mine is faulty.

thanks

jimijeans
05-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Your Welcome don't worry the 08+Buells are a little tricky on reflashing but the Erik Buell team will take care of it.
At Least the newer model Engines on the Buells have a TPS reset method that is cheap on the wallet.ECM SPY is also a good Software for us all old models and new alike.The 08+ Buells need a little more with ECMSPY(new Version)than the older ECMSpy, program.
Hang tight and ride safe. I also had to send mine back as well. And still to this day it will Idle low now and then and almost Stall.
I adapted though cause the ECM Works good in all areas . Just the Idle now and then I bump it just a touch and it's fine after that.I Really didn't need the ECM but I figured the way the parts are going to be to get in the next couple of years just get the Wear Items and some Electrical Areas just for in case of.
I also invested in the Technoresearch.com Harley Davidson & Buell Direct Link Race Software.VERY expensive but here at the shop it has been a life saver. The Buell Kit itself may not be all that Expensive. I also have the ECMSPY for both Versions, Once you get used to it it is really great to work with.The Tuner is powerfull so if you go that route Take Your Time.Welcome to the forum.Ride Safe.*JIMI

budn2718
05-10-2012, 07:20 AM
I hope ebr can fix me up, no return email yet. As of now just want a plug and play, but over the winter wouldnt mind sending the ecm back and getting the direct link for it. I to want to slowly order parts here and there because i dont see myself ever selling the bike. Maybe retire it one day and spend time making it look new. My bike seems to have the most low end power when it is cold, easy to pull the front end up under 3000. Im going to assume because the bike is still running abit rich and seems to really like it. Would like to have that all the time.

jimijeans
05-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Budn,the Engine will pull better once the other ECM is reinstalled also check the Clutch Adjustment (small Adjustment)at a time if needed. Remember the Ulysses is higher off the Surface so wheeles are a little different than a lower vehicle.There is a add on for a stock or Other ECM to help richen up the Mix a little .
Tried it myself and it actually worked good enough to make me remove it due to all the Mountain Roads.Picked it up at a Bike Week couple of years ago. Plus I now Individually tune per Engine. I didn't need to be Lifting up the Wheel in 3rd gear. I think it was from Magnum Tuning .
I had a friend that bought it from me cause he is all thumbs kinda person.It I guess worked good enough for him cause after 2 speeding tickets in less than 3/months and had only ridden it a few times,but rides like a jerk/ his Girl pulled it off and stomped it.Laughed my butt off cause well I figured he was smarter than that.I went over and repaired the wiring.Enjoy the Journey.*Jimi

budn2718
05-18-2012, 06:28 AM
I finally found the problem....been running stock ecm for awhile now and i could still notice abit of hesitation if the bike was revved past 5000. bought the most expensive injector cleaner that i could find and dumped it in, and after taking it for a nice ride it totally cleared up. I am now on the second tank and dumped the remainder of the cleaner in the tank.
Last night i dropped the race ecm back in and took it for a 20 min ride at low rpm, and then got on it hard. The bike pulled hard and fast all the way to 7000.
So looks like the injectors had some build up in there, which was really noticable with the race ecm but not so noticable with the oem one.
Im alittle dissapointed in myself for not doing that sooner. Now i can put my time into riding rather than wrenching, and finally work on mounting some nice little turnsignals on the handguards and running a catch can for the breather.

BuellyBagger
05-19-2012, 03:20 PM
seriously??[confused] just dirty injectors, never would of assumed that was all good deal