PDA

View Full Version : Intake leak.

trevorkoback
05-03-2012, 08:55 PM
After changing plugs and wires, cleaning all ground contacts, replacing battery...hopefully located intake leak. Warmed up Uly, sprayed carb cleaner around intake flange on rear jug. Idle increased then settled back down to a sporadic idle, which I assuming is the leak???? Would this also cause the bad miss and poor riding in the rain???

However there are no codes being stored, but wouldn't a intake leak trigger a code?? O2 sensor?

snrusnak
05-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Sounds likely. I don't think an intake leak would throw a code. There's no "sensor" for it.

wolfo68
05-03-2012, 10:19 PM
it doesn't throw a code, but it sounds like you've found it.

trevorkoback
05-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks, was confused as I thought it would dump more fuel in to compensate for leak, causing a code but perhaps not. Sure hope that this what the problem, bikes been plagued by issues, not what I intended.

Have a service manual however no details on replacing the intake gasket, I assume its pretty straight forward, any ideas or links to assist.

Thanks again

wolfo68
05-04-2012, 08:24 AM
they're pretty much just rubber seals that pop out once you take off the intake.

There is a special tool they recommend for getting one of the bolts out, I didn't find it necessary though.

I don't believe you have to take the heads off (I don't remember), but it wouldn't necessarily surprise me.

snrusnak
05-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Someone on here just posted that they did it without rotating the engine, and they needed that special tool. Basically just remove the airbox, TB and replace seals then reassemble.

budn2718
05-18-2012, 07:14 AM
I just did that to mine when changing tps sensor. Parts were $6 and a few hours of your time. There is just enough room in there to move throttle body around to change the seals. I left my gas line hooked up and just took my time. I down loaded the shop manual for
under $10.
enjoy