PDA

View Full Version : Buell Firebolt or Lightning?

made_in_USA
10-10-2006, 01:33 AM
I currently have a '05 Buell Lightning XB12Scg. Don't get me wrong, I love the bike, but sometimes the lack of protection from the wind can get annoying. I was wondering if the Firebolt wind screen makes a big difference?? I like the looks of my Lightning better, but I could deal with the difference if the air flowage is greatly reduced.[confused]

paperclip
10-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I honestly don't think it makes that big of a difference unless you actually ride on a racer's tuck. I really like the buell lightnings, especially that see thru air cover!

BuellPartsGuy
11-02-2006, 03:33 AM
You sit a little more upright on a Lightning due to the bar set up and the 1" lower pegs. but as far as the wind there isnt a noticeable difference.

made_in_USA
11-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I guess you'd have to ride one to know. It just appears that the firebolt would be quite a bit better. I'll stick with this completely naked bike it the firebolt won't make a substantial difference.

azsnow
11-08-2006, 03:14 PM
There is a big difference in the wind. With a fixed fairing, the Firebolt provides a better ride during windy conditions, not to mention when passing a semi on the highway. To prove my point and to get a better feel for this, compare a Roadglide, (fixed fairing) to an Ultra Glide (Fork mounted fairing) and you will see the difference.

BuellPartsGuy
11-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I have ridden both styles of bike and didn't notice a difference. The only difference I notice is due to the seating position not due to the windscreen. If you sit more upright on a Firebolt, you feel the same amount of wind as a Lightning. And as far as the wind pushing you side to side on the Buells, in comparision to a Road Glide and Ultra, that comparision really doesn't have grounds with this because the windscreen on a Lightning is so small wind doesn't make a difference. Where it makes a big difference riding the different baggers due to the size and mounting of the fairings.

azsnow
11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I guess different people notice different things. I have riden both bikes, a Firebolt and Lightning, the Lightning from San Diego to Phoenix, and the Firebolt from Phoenix to Tucson and back. This is where I gather my data from.

matchbox20fan3
11-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah the buell lightnings do have a big lack of protection from the wind.

Apexlocator
11-26-2006, 01:20 AM
What you need to consider is that you are leaning forward on the Firebolt and you cut into the wind. As soon as you are in the straight up and beg position, you can't cut through the wind. That leads to muscle fatigue. The sport position takes weight off your butt and puts it on the legs, where you get less tired and saves your *ss. Aerodynamic into the wind keeps you from getting tired also. There's no better way to ride than with a slight lean forward, in my opinion!

terryc56
12-07-2006, 04:35 AM
So What I'm hearing is posture more the wind screen? The Lighting screen is nothing. I am looking at aftermarket screens. I have a softail and after 14K miles last year I put a low cut wind screen on. Love it. Now back to buell. So lower seat? any one have a lead? windscreen, a bag and we are off. Opps I need to find a 2005or newer B12Ss in black. anyone have a lead? am in WA state . So if the bike is in CA cool I love the ride north.
Keep up the chat I learn every day.
how do I ad a pix?

buellboy03
12-18-2006, 04:17 AM
I have a 12S and a 9R in the shed , there is a lot of difference between the Two ;)You are sitting more upright on the S then the R but believe me ,it is a big difference to the point that the R will out handle the S any day of the week when it comes to the higher speed range .

FerrisBueller
12-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I love my 12R but at speeds above 65mph the wind is anoying. I just orderd a slihgtly taler windscreen for mine.

hottoddy69
03-04-2007, 11:33 PM
I installed the lightning pegs on my '07 Firebolt. A bit more comfortable in my opinion. On lon journeys, I lay down of the bike. (rest me feet on the back pegs)........I use to do thing for many miles on my ol Jap bikes.

Anyone do this on highway cruises?

07xb12rblack
03-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I did too but when you hit a southern sized pot hole and the air box puches you in the stomach like Chuck Liddell you think twice about that position!!!

GMAN
03-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Im going for the Lighning,no doubt,i like the R,but i think its another conzept even if a lot of people dont agree,i love the Lighning as a streetfighter (what its suppouse to be) but if i go for an "R" i would defnetly not be a Buell...LOTS OF REASONS,starting by H.P. aerodinamics and weight...

DJRYDBRG
03-14-2007, 08:15 PM
has anyone ever put a firebolt front fairing on a lightning?

MrOrange
03-15-2007, 03:06 AM
You know, I found a web site that sold windscreens just for the lighting. I have spent an hour looking for that link to no avail. They came in 4 or 5 colors and had a translucent one that was not DOT approved unlike the others that were. I'll keep looking and if I do find it i'll post the address.

DJRYDBRG
03-15-2007, 03:30 PM
if your going to put a windscreen on a stock lightning fairing
null (http://www.buell.com/common/07/lightning/xb12ss/features/fairing.jpg)
couldnt you just put the ulysses wind screen on it
null (http://www.buell.com/common/07/ulysses/xb12x/features/windscreen.jpg)?

Dealer
05-23-2007, 12:48 AM
MrOrange
I'm new to your forum and saw your post on 15 March about windscreens for the Lightning(I just got a new XB12S). I think the website your lookin' for is Cee Bailey's Motorcycle products. They've got some pretty neat screens in colors for the Lightning(gonna order one tonite for my Lightning). I installed one of their windshields on my BMW K1200 about a year ago and their products are really top notch. Hope this helps ya!

tbramich
05-23-2007, 10:49 AM
why dont you just order an after market race fairing and put that on it. you can mount it with some quick disconnects and make it removable. if you cut out the headlight in the fairing you can leave them where they are and basically have a convertible bike.