PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an annoying rattle

bfwaits
09-26-2008, 06:25 AM
I have a 2006 xb12r, I have had a rattle in it since i purchased it new. I told them about it when it went in for service and they said everything was normal. So, here are the symptoms, it only rattles when i roll on the throttle hard, close to the point of the engine bogging. i cant find where it is coming from, but it sounds horrible and cant be normal (i hope), has anybody else had this problem. I checked all the obvious ares, ie, engine mounts, exhaust bolts, head covers, i cant find anything loose. someone said it maybe the exhaust valve, does anybody else have a rattle in their 06 or later 12r? any help would be greatly appreciated...

ophawk
09-26-2008, 04:20 PM
That sounds, as you described, to be engine pinging, knocking or pre-ignition. Under a high load the advancing flame front in the cylinder compresses the remaining fuel/air mixture to the point that it self ignites causing another flame front that collides with the first one, causing the audible sound. Or their may be some carbon deposits in the cylinders/spark plugs that will sound similar. Try a higher grade of fuel, the lower the octane number the lower the resistance to pre-ignition, the easier it will ping. Or you can down-shift to lighten the engine load, that raises the RPM giving the flame front more area, for a complete burn and push on the piston.
Later

blackxb12r
09-26-2008, 05:58 PM
do you have the factory airbox on it?? i noticed what i can only describe as a rattle after i did the hose reroute and k&n filter with open air box mod. i immediatly tore it back apart thinking i had left somehting loose. everything was ok and i just figured it was engine intake noise i couldnt here with the oem lid. i never did put it on the board to see if anybody had the same thing.

captain13ron
09-26-2008, 09:17 PM
ditto

06xb9r
09-27-2008, 01:40 AM
blacky, your bike may be pinging due to the extra air you're putting in the engine with the poen airbox/filter. Do you have a race ecm or any fuel adders?

blackxb12r
09-27-2008, 04:33 PM
i had the race ecm and race muffler installed when i bought the bike. the open air box and hose reroute i did after purchase. mine does ping when its really hot weather between 3500 and 6000 rpm in 4th and 5th gear. i cant hear it in the lower gears. i dont really rider her that hard on a regular basis so havnet been worried about it. i put the highest octane gas i can, 93, and have tried different stations around my house but it still does it. the noise i was refering to is not a ping if i had to guess it was valve noise being made audible without the factory lid on it. it is only there for a short part of the rpm range and has acually decreased in length the more i rode it after the install. i plan on taking it to dealer this winter for a timing check and maybe a reflash if they can do that to a race ecm. the nearest dealer is a long haul for me.

XBear9S
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
My '03 XB9S has always pinged and rattled.
There are several posts on this site about the "issue" or non-issue.
It seems to be the consensus that rattling is normal for XBs..
I concur. It seems to be normal.

..and when you open your airbox, it does gets louder.

A nice loud exhaust was my solution...

Robtk! a.k.a "Special K"

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting 'GERONIMO!'"

--Anonymous HellBuelly