PDA

View Full Version : Stator or battery?

wsb_bwhntr
09-28-2008, 03:57 AM
Hey guys,
New to the group and loving the bike I just bought - Buell 2004 XB12s (well not totally since the previous owner told me it was never crashed and I now have about $1700 into it to fix the stuff that was obviously the result of a crash). Anyways, all the repairs are done and recently when riding it I notice that it hesitates to fire up. I have checked the battery and it was down to 12.4. I recharged it - was 12.8 and went out to ride it. Came back and checked it again next day and was back at 12.6. I read the previous posts on the battery versus stator and as a result, pull the cover off, found the three wire (gray connection) and tested the volts while at about 2000rpm. I got 4.6 volts. I am assuming from that that I need to replace the stator, but I also realize that the battery is 4 years old now. Any other tests or way to know for sure which one it is? I was thinking check it with voltmeter, then drive it, and check again. If it dropped then it isn't recharging. If it didn't drop then the stator is fine and I need a new battery. Is that logical? Is there any other methods to check? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bill

wsb_bwhntr
09-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Sorry guys, obviously not a parts question - moved it to the main area...
Bill

Stevenc150
09-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Auto Parts stores check your batteries for free to see if they're going bad or already are.

XBear9S
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Sound like the stator from here, but start w/the simplest thing and go from there...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"A Buell may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."

[The First Law of Buellbotics]
--Isaac Buellsimov