PDA

View Full Version : Oil Problems

Twenty seven
09-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Ive got a used 2004 blast with no modifications with 3200 miles on it. The problem its having is I end up changing the oil every 300-500 miles because it becomes almost black in color. I started using 20W50 and then SAE 50 with the same results. Im not losing oil or obviously burning it either. No other problems since having the bike and it runs well. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Stevenc150
09-29-2008, 03:46 AM
I am by no means an engine expert but I found a whole article on Engine Oils at this website: The Engine Oil Bible (http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html)

....And don't worry about the engine oil turning black. It will lose it's golden-brown colour within a few hundred miles of being put in to the engine. That doesn't mean it's not working. Quite the contrary - it means it is working well. It changes colour as it traps oxidised oil, clots and the flakes of metal that pop off heavily loaded engine parts. Just don't leave it too long between oil changes.

Also recommend you use a Quality full synthetic like Royal Purple 20w50 Max Cycle, Amsoil, etc.

Twenty seven
10-01-2008, 02:35 AM
Good to hear. I asked a few people and half say its normal and recently I heard it could be the engine running hot or a seal around the piston...
Thanks for your help with this

Stevenc150
10-01-2008, 03:28 AM
No Problem. But I'd definitely go to full Synthetic oil. It's expensive but pays in the long run. ;)