PDA

View Full Version : Spring primary tensioner?

exhawgdoctor
05-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm very new to the Buell Blast but VERY familiar with big twins. Just got a used 8K miles 2001 Blast for putting to town & back,& know nothing about them. Thought they were just half a Sporty motor but apparently not. There's a clatter from the primary chain area on slight acceleration, is this normal? I tried to check the chain adjustment but as you know there's no inspection cover on the Blast (dum?) & it's really difficult to check it through the clutch pushrod cover. However, I tried adjusting it a la Sportster but the noise got worse (i think) so after further tightening & checking with a long thin screwdriver it appears I might have a sprung aftermarket tensioner. Are these out there? If so & it is a sprung tensioner I guess I need to tighten it some more. Don't really want to take off the primary cover to look at it if I can avoid it.

pierce
05-11-2012, 08:39 PM
You are hearing your primary chain (as you thought). The blast does not have an inspection cover, so you just need to adjust the bolt underneath, which puts pressure on the chain via a shoe. What I would do is adjust it until you no longer hear the clanking, then go for a ride. clanking comes back adjust slightly in Its better to have it lose than tight.

The pushrods are on the opposite side of the inspection cover. The inspection cover only allows you to adjust the clutch, and add oil.

pierce
05-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I should clarify, the blast has a cover for the clutch, but not the Harley inspection cover for the primary chain adjuster. I have a lot experience with both, and they are often confused. On the balst, we are talking about the three bolt cover that looks like a shamrock. On a sporster, its the small circular cover above that. The blast doesnt have that.

Buells, Harley's - they all have the same "stuff". The Buell's like to think of themselves as being different, but its pretty much the same.

I work back and forth between the two without even thinking.

ghostedrider
05-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Primary Chain Adjustment: at 1,000 & at every 2,500 mi. interval thereafter.

**Note**The Blast is shipped with a spacer between the primary chain limiting
screw and the locknut. The spacer is discarded at the first service interval.

A inch-pound torque wrench is used to adjust primary chain :

Tighten chain limiting screw to 24 in/lbs
Back-off chain limiting screw 3/4 turn = 4 1/2 'flats' *Practical note: 12
flats more (14 flats out from torque spec is usually golden)is the experienced
recommendation by many. Hold chain limiting screw while tightening jam nut.

Too loose = that box of rocks sound
Too tight = your top end drops to like 65mph and it will throw your idle
off and you can stall out too.

So if this happens after your first service - this is one of the possible
reasons.

Well thats all there is to it, the inch/lb torque wrench would pay for itself
by the fourth adjustment - but its up to you, to justify the expense.

The following method though not recommended is used by many :

Can this be done without a torque wrench? To answer your question, Yes. From a cold start, let the bike get to a warmed up idle, then start tightening the primary chain. When you hear the idle
start to drop, back off 12 flats. I've been doing it this way for the last few chain adjustments, and it is usually within a flat of adjusting it with a torque wrench.
BTW, the reason for a cold start is to set the chain tension with a cold primary.

(Note: A hex nut has six sides, six flats, 1/3 of a turn is 2 flats.)

Chain # 40005-57B
$56.70
Tensioner shoe spring # 24349-00Y
$8.25
Tensioner shoe #39922-00Y
$6.93

Clutch basket washer #37870-91
$7.88

Clutch basket nut #37495-91
$14.18

Front sprocket nut #7839
$3.60

exhawgdoctor
05-14-2012, 02:55 PM
OK guys, I tried the last method (tighten the tensioner until idle slows then back off 12 flats) it sounds exactly the same to me. Maybe I'll try tightening it a flat at a time? Or is chain clatter pretty normal? As I say it only does it under gentle acceleration.
Also is there a tach available easy to install?Maybe I'm lugging the motor too much not being used to a single.

ezblast
05-19-2012, 09:08 PM
If it was too tight in its prior history - probably, then the chain tension-er is worn and needs replacing, happens a lot to folk who follow the factory procedure which is way too tight.

Best method to adjust is: Loosen till you hear box of rocks sound, then slowly tighten till gone, and lock down.
EZ

wolfo68
05-20-2012, 12:43 AM
I just put in a new tensioner and it sounds like that box of rocks no matter what I put on it. The bike is at my parents house (I gave it to my mother), someone told my father that there is another tensioner piece that goes on the top.

exhawgdoctor
05-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I took my primary cover off to check what's going on with the rattle (nothing found so I guess it is normal) & there's a 'slap pad' for the primary chain that slips on the upper part of the inside of the cover. Maybe yours is worn/broken/missing?

namrenton
08-17-2012, 01:01 AM
hi man mi problem is a identicall mi buell blast 2003 broken the chain guide and the shoe and the spring wheres find the pieces but i living in mexico and its a very complicated finding here just the name of the same store thanks

ezblast
08-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Order through HD - just use the part numbers.
EZ

exhawgdoctor
09-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Look at ghostrider's comments;the parts are pretty cheap but the difficulty is to find a Harley dealer willing to order them. You could try [Buellparts.net] but they don't have everything.I've found most dealers are reluctant or just say no to Buell.
Try Pinwall Cycle Parts in Ohio [www.pinwallcycle.com]
I just got a handlebar switch from them very inexpensive, they're parting out several Blasts.