PDA

View Full Version : A little concerned.

Seizer
04-20-2007, 01:32 AM
I did my first oil and filter change today, and neglected to read the owners manual on it other than capacities and location of drain plug. When I put the filter back on I filled it all the way to the top. As aircraft mechanic I was always told to do this whenever you can on a oil filter. I also practice this on my cars when possible.

My concern comes from I no longer see the oil light come on before start up. Anyone out there think this might be detrimental to the engine, ie. higher than normal pressures?

I am debating spinning the filter back off and draining some oil out. What would you do?

Riding an 03 XB9SL.

buellxb
04-20-2007, 02:26 PM
What does the Buell manual say? Does it start fine? Do you notice any other problems?

BuellPartsGuy
04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Check the level on the dipstick. If its at proper level on the dipstick when hot, forget about it, its fine. Its always a good practice to fill your filter with oil before you install it due to the way it is mounted and the location it is at on these Buells.

buellxb
04-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Ha, yeah, what BPG said.

slydwazer
04-23-2007, 03:34 AM
Hey Seizer - you did right by filling the filter before putting it on. 80%-85% of all engine wear occurs at start up due to oil starvation - don't prolong it by installing a dry filter. Your oil pressure light should come on with key on - engine off. You should do a bulb check each time you switch it on and before you crank it. If the bulb doesn't illuminate with key on - engine off, check the bulb and/or sending unit. You didn't say what oil you're running, but Royal Purple puts more horsepower to the rear wheel. 1.5 on my last pull compared to Syn3 - and Syn3 was a little over 1 hp over petroleum based oil. Not too shabby for cheap horsepower AND excellent engine protection.