PDA

View Full Version : Belt guard removal

Roccodart440
10-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Is there any issue with removing the belt gurds or at least one of them?

dave_xb12r
10-02-2008, 01:56 AM
None that I have noticed. A LOT of people on here have done it and I haven't read of anyone having issues

His_and_Her_Buells
10-02-2008, 02:36 AM
top one is no prob but bottom one could allow road debris to get between belt and sprocket.

LVsleeper
10-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Is it necessary to remove the rear wheel to get to the bolts?

dave_xb12r
10-02-2008, 06:03 AM
I got mine off no problem without removing anything else. It did take a few minutes to figure out how to work the inner metal guard off

Bordsnbikes
10-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I took both of mine off and haven't had a problem. My lower guard was rubbing on my belt and fraying the edge a bit. I think it just plain looks cooler too.

GatorBuell
10-02-2008, 10:47 PM
All mine are gone.

dgp
10-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I took my top ones off the day I got my bike a year ago. My problem was that the brackets (whatever you may call them) that are welded? onto the frame to hold the guards, annoy the piss out of me, i want it to be flush. Wonderd if I can just grind them off... :)

2003buellxb9s
10-03-2008, 01:42 PM
i ripped mine off last night... was much more of a bitch than i thought, plus on my 03 it seemed like it was all or nothin.. i ended up having to break it off to get to some of the bolts.. looks way cleaner now though.. plastic sucks.

Thaloc
10-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I must be the only person who likes the look of the gaurd. In fact if been thinking of accenting it with some hero blue so it pops a bit more.

Infamous1
10-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Removed all of the gaurds on my '07 Bolt with no issues thus far even removed the inner fender just put all the bolts back in and they really don't stand out that bad as not supposed to be there but would prefer to have mine smooth also. I'm thinking it would be a pain to repaint the arm, so for now I just clean around them! I really like the look of the open arm around the tire and belt

Roccodart440
10-20-2008, 03:50 AM
I took the bottom one off. After a clkoser look the bottom one seems to do nothing. The top one was too difficult to get off with the tire on. It will come off in the spring.

Ralph2
11-28-2008, 01:10 PM
All mine come off in the spring. Saving for a free Spirits tensioner, which is supposedly better for the belt. Also gives a little bit if something gets trapped between the belt and the rear pulley.

Thaloc
11-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I left mine on, and when I changed my back tire I had a twig stuck inbetweeen the sprocket and the belt that partially flattened out one of the belt 'teeth'. so Ill be keeping mine on, I dont wanna pick up any more shizzzzz

RHYNOXB9R
11-28-2008, 04:32 PM
i ride to fast to get anything caught,jk.i took all of mine off as well,but as a safety measure, i will roll the bike and look at the pully to make sure that it is clear of rocks,ect.after all,the belts are,use to be,there for a reason.

Midnight82
06-05-2009, 03:58 AM
So I'm feeling like a hardcore newb right now.

What's the plan of attack to get the top gaurd off? Do I really need to pull the wheel off for this lousie piece of plastic?

The bottom gaurd was so easy a caveman could do it.

Throw me a bone, Tell me there's a trick for this top one. (types violently)

only1reds
06-05-2009, 04:15 AM
I haven't done it yet. But I would think by the sound of the other members that have, all you would have to do is pray to BABY JESUS and waala.

But on a serious note, I've given it a look and it really seemed a bit difficult to get to the bolt that holds the sub frame brace and belt guard together, so I gave up.

But that's just me [confused]

Midnight82
06-05-2009, 04:19 AM
I got the bottom one off without any idssues at all. But that dang top one looks to be a bit more challenging. I feel like I need someone to draw up some scymatics (spelling?) for me.

FalconryBoy
06-10-2009, 04:26 AM
i popped the top one off my '07 12s a couple months ago with no probs. gonna take off the lower one tomorrow.

TechMagic
06-10-2009, 02:22 PM
firstly, only1 it's "VoilĂ*" it's french ;) impress the ladies

Midnight, it's "schematics" root word "scheme" ;)

And you guys trying to get your guards off, a set of low-profile 1/4" drive torx sockets and ratchet will do some real work. If the ratchet is too thick, there are 1/4" socket wrenches that aren't ratchets, saving some height. I've even bent square stock like a allen key before ;)

2003buellxb9s
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Wish I invested in those tools.. I ended up cutting it off with some tin snips and a serraded butchers knife.

XBChrisalto
06-10-2009, 03:25 PM
TechMagic,
Since you have been correcting the entire world, it is time for you to be corrected as well. It is an allen key, not a allen key. ;)

TechMagic
06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
you sir, are correct, except that was a typo, I corrected mistakes that were not typos. ;)

LOL at the serrated butcher's knife.

onelogue
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I ended up cutting it off with some tin snips and a serraded butchers knife.This is what I did! [mad]

I've even bent square stock like a allen key beforeAnd this is what I should have done! Good idea TechMagic [up]

tuneport67ss
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
My 08 12r must be different. I removed mine the other day and the top one was the easiest. It was held on with 2 bolts that were right out in the open. Came off no problem. The bottom was a different story. One of the bolts in the metal bracket was siezed up and I broke 3 sockets and ended up stripping the torx out. Had to weld a nut to it to get it out. [mad]
Thats ok though. It gave me an excuse to buy polished stainless button heads. I just put the bolts back in the holes.

XBChrisalto
06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't know why some people are having trouble removing the upper belt guard. Are they referring to the Firebolt or something, because the removal of the XB9 upper guard is extremely easy.

ADAMLEE
06-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Must be the older models, my 06 Lightning was simple as pie!

I paln on usind a Drimmel to grind off the attachment nuts. Don't want to do it until I get the touch up paint.

onelogue
06-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Yeah its the earlier generation. I'll take a pic later but on my '04 xb12r the bolts for the top guard are between the swing arm, tire, and belt . Pretty much impossible to take off with out the tire and belt removed.
I took my brothers off his '08 and it was easy as heck!

Midnight82
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I have an '04 Firebolt that's being a BRUTE!

Tech- Thanks for the spelling correction. I knew I had it wrong, but I wasn't smart enough to google it.

I might take the butcher knife approach. [cool]

xtremelow
06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Took my GF's '03 Scg belt guards off and eventually had to rip and break some of it. My '03 R has the '04 setup and was much easier to remove.

Midnight82
06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Xtreme - Maybe I'm just a pansy. [sad]

LVsleeper
06-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Took (or borrowed) a couple of shots of the '04 XB12R guard that is the culprit.
I don't know what other years/models are attached in this manner. Seems to me, that once removed it doesn't look like anything was ever there. ie, naked mounting nuts.
nullhttp://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2422_20090610100246_L.jpg
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2422_20090610100801_L.jpg
if you notice guard is attached between swing arm and tire/wheel one or two bolts can be reached with the use of a T-handled Torx-wrench set but that last one is tricky with the wheel on there.

TechMagic
06-10-2009, 05:25 PM
These suck, they're too tall. This is also the same for getting hex-stock torx bits and putting them in small sockets.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/xscifigodx/12pcQuaterand3_8thinchtorxset_SKT19.jpg

This is what you want, these are the dope's tits:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/xscifigodx/258041_300.png

worked like a charm on my 04. Also if you need to you can pull the swingarm brace off of the swingarm itself (since that's what the belt guard is attached to) and then replace it once the guard is off. I used a cut-down allen key to get the bolts for the swingarm brace that are behind the belt.

onelogue
06-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech you are the man! Good detail. [up]Cause it was hard as hell to take off without removing the belt.

TechMagic
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Pull these 4 bolts, pull the swingarm brace out, remove the guard, replace the swingarm brace.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/xscifigodx/buellswingarm.jpg

Midnight82
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh dude! I can pull that brace out with the bike on the ground without any issues?

If I can do that, this job is a piece of cake.

(bangs head on desk)

onelogue
06-10-2009, 05:37 PM
k I tried that but those were torqued like a b*tch! Ended up stripping a bolt and left it :-/

LVsleeper
06-10-2009, 05:41 PM
could it really be that easy?

TechMagic
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Midnight, I pulled and replaced the brace no problem, bike on the ground and everything. I did so after I observed that the brace engages the swingarm at both ends, no way belt stresses could torque the swingarm out without it (at least not for a minute or two)

Onelogue, I've had success finding a torx wrench that snugly fits into a stripped socket head, then going to the next torx size up, tapering it on a grinder, and then driving it into the stripped socket head with a hammer. (the torx should be a socket style) use a length of rod behind it to hit with the hammer. I used 1/4" square stock that fit the back of the socket. Then once it's in there really good, I carefully and slowly applied torque with a small ratchet. You should test your torx "tool" on another stripped socket head bolt of the same size in a vise. Make sure it doesn't split the head open when driving it in, and see how much torque it can take as well. Then you'll go into it having a "feel" for what you're doing.

Mine weren't torqued that tight, you may have been indirectly pulling the wrench.

TechMagic
06-10-2009, 05:49 PM
LV, yes it really is that easy as long as your swingarm brace bolts aren't torqued like a mo fo.

Midnight82
06-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech - You're the man, +1 for the pointer!

tuneport67ss
06-10-2009, 05:55 PM
The bolts arent torqued. They are corroded. When you put a steel bolt in aluminim threads, it will corrode bad. It acts like a thread locker (locktite)on the bolt. THe easiest way to get the "torqued" bolts before they are stripped is to apply a small amount of heat. I find that a propane torch works pretty good.
On another note. Remember your spark plugs are steel threads and the heads are aluminum. They can corrode as well. Always apply an antisieze on your plugs when installing them. It will save you trouble later on.

onelogue
06-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey guys thanks for the tips! TechMagic I will keep your "tech magic" ;) in mind when I get around to removing it.

TechMagic
06-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice double-team tuneport! You're right, aluminum and steel chemically react to one another.

It's good practice to apply never seize between alu. and steel. Personally, I cringe when I see them paired in industry. You're right about that likely being the culprit.

With aluminum and powder-coat present, applying a small amount of heat in the form of a propane torch is likely smartest. You can get into trouble with map gas or oxy/acetylene, and vaporize your swingarm.

Midnight82
06-11-2009, 05:53 PM
So I tried to take taht section of the swingarm out last night. Get three or the four bolts out and the third I stripped the head on. WEAK!

So I ended up taking the Hulkamania approach. I just tore the MF'r off.

kajer
06-11-2009, 06:04 PM
times like this, I am happy I have an '09 that the guards came off with the T27, ERFECT!!!

(yes, it's missing the 'P', those hardcore nerds will get the Street Fighter reference)

dave_xb12r
06-11-2009, 06:18 PM
The term "street fighter" on a buell forum might be confused :D B1k3?

ADAMLEE
06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Anyone play SF4 here on the forums?

I gotz an XBL account and am ready to put the beatdown to anyone.....mwa ha ahah aha hah !

onelogue
06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
NERD ALERT :D;)

Macbuell
06-11-2009, 07:50 PM
DARN! I was all excited about just taking that part of the swingarm out and being able to remove the upper belt guard... I started with the most difficult to get to bolt for that piece and sure enough, couldnt get that either. Looks like I am not meant to get this guard off.

Trying to make myself not sound so stupid but that is getting hard by letting this plastic guard get the best of me.

TechMagic
06-11-2009, 08:05 PM
are you guys really having that much trouble? Man, I thought I had an 04 so since it was easy, it couldn't be much worse on an older bike, and newer should be cake. Sorry to hear it's being a bitch.

Midnight82
06-11-2009, 10:51 PM
The top one is just a beast. The three screws holding the gaurd on are in impossible places to get to with the wheel on. And the 4 bolts on the swingarm have been on my bike for 6 years ('04 built in '03). Just one of those things.

That's why the Vise-Grips + Ninja focus was the route I went.

RyBuell
06-14-2009, 06:34 AM
I ended up struggling to pull the brace off as well: ultimatly i ended up hacking the guard off then removing the entire rear brake setup to get to that stupid burrid bolt...F*ucking thing still wont come loose, ive tried 3 times now. maybe i just need a huge breaker bar.

GatorBuell
06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Go to sears and get the easy out screw extractor (not the bolt easy out)it looks like a counter sink but in reverse. Put in a drill in reverse and keep drilling. It will heat the tork bit up and back it right out. It takes a little while but it will come right out. I have used it about 6 times now on the bike.

scheetz31
06-15-2009, 04:33 AM
i took the whole back wheel off...i found that to be much easier. Two bolts to remove caliper...and a couple turns to remove axle...slide belt off. simple as 1,2,3. I had to get a new rear tire, but it gave me easy access to belt guards, and everything else.

fresh rida
07-05-2009, 02:48 AM
okay. I have an '03 XB9SL. Tried taking out my belt guards today and no luck. At first, I thought they were two separate pieces, upper and lower. Then I realized that they were attached with an inner plastic piece. Anyway, got the bottom one out but had problems with the upper piece. Tried taking the swing arm piece off but one or two bolts may have been corroded. How exactly would I use the propane torch to heat up the bolts? This may sound silly. But can I just use a blow dryer?

Help!!!! Anyone, please!!! I want these off! Especially, after seeing the bottom one off. Darn thing looks so sexy! Ended up taking the passenger pegs off for the meantime! LOL!

TechMagic
07-06-2009, 06:30 PM
you take a torch, light it, and blare it on the bolt for about 10-20 seconds. A hair dryer won't work but a heat gun may work...

fresh rida
07-06-2009, 09:41 PM
TechMagic,

Just gotta ask before making another attempt at this. Do I aim the torch directly at the bolt? Would this cause any damage to my swing arm brace?

50dro
07-07-2009, 04:01 AM
I decided to take my guards off of my '04 XB12S after reading this. It was WAAAAAY simple! Just removed the 4 bolts on the support (no torch needed) and removed the 3 torx bolts for the top guard. Simply removed the 3 allen bolts for the bottom guard.

Happy Wrenching!!:D

LVsleeper
07-31-2009, 01:59 AM
FINALLY!!!
OK so today after months of looking at her and multiple attempts, I finally got the upper guard off. I was going to wait until I pulled the wheels for either polishing the lip or pin-striping, couldn't look at it any longer. I took Tech's advise and removed the upper swing arm brace after multiple applications of a penetrating oil as 2 of the 4 bolts were seized. anybody ever notice there is a brembo stamp on both the brace and the swing arm itself?
Anybody got any info on this? LeFox? BPG? Xtreme?
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2422_20090730185752_L.jpg

xtremelow
07-31-2009, 03:58 AM
Not sure but I emailed both Buell and Brembo in hopes of an answer.

But as it appears Buell may just be able to out source the swing arm to Brembo for cheaper, than it would cost to buy and run the machinary and make it themselves.

LVsleeper
07-31-2009, 04:12 AM
I know you've had a few swing arms in your possession were all stamped with the brembo logo?

xtremelow
07-31-2009, 04:39 AM
Yeah all my stock R Swing Arms have the Brembo Stamp on them, but I couldnt see one on my Ss arm but I would assume it is made by the same retailer as the others.

Bill
08-13-2009, 09:34 PM
If I remember correctly, early in the XB's life, both the frame and swingarm were cast by Brembo; Buell eventually took over that process and is having it cast elsewhere now.

Nuage420b
09-10-2009, 05:44 AM
My metal lower back guard siezed up and stripped out ended up tighening it back up but it's an eye sore. I'll probably try a torx first but will end up welding a nut to it as well.[down] my bike came with the little blue tool kit with everything needed to remove everything but the passenger pegs.

Miss_Buell
10-01-2009, 10:04 PM
sweet info on this post.
i have been wondering how to take that thing off for a while.. but i did not know what kind of tool would fit in that small place.

I tried to remove the 3 bolts...i just got to find myself some muscle 'cause my girly arms did not do the job
;)

303xb
04-09-2010, 03:02 AM
is it really this simple to take the swingarm brace off??? the manual says to get it on a stand and take the belt off the tension pulley...

50dro
04-09-2010, 03:08 AM
is it really this simple to take the swingarm brace off??? the manual says to get it on a stand and take the belt off the tension pulley...

Yep!! Not sure if all years are as easy but my 2004 came apart no problem![up] The bolts behind the heel guards are a little tough to get at but not too bad...

303xb
04-09-2010, 03:11 AM
great. ill get er done this weekend.

kalifornia
04-09-2010, 04:05 AM
I striped a torx bit also, called a tech and he said put a torch on the bolt head, came off like butta

303xb
04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
75 in Denver...all my friends riding the mountains, and I'm stuck here with a busted leg still...TORTURE.

Cleaned up the bike completely (toothbrush on the fins, wheels, etc.) the thing looks amazing.

For anyone trying to remove that rear guard, what a piece of cake. I have an 03 xb9s, took the rear swing arm support off (as mentioned by a few of you), has ZERO corrosion and it took about 5 min. Had to remove the right heel guard and brake lever plate, but got it all removed and it looks way better.

For anyone trying to get that stubborn top guard off, don't worry, it's SIMPLE.

303xb
04-18-2010, 07:29 PM
and here's a pic to explain how i did it. like i said simple. the red shows location of swingarm support bolts, green is the plate i took off to access the final bolt.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5912/rearm.jpg

iman501
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
alright i sit here in anger tonight because apparently the previous owner stripped some bolts! :(

I'm trying to get my back tire off, and belt guards and such, to replace my rear tire, and i got to the point where i need to remove the swing arm support bracket, and the top bolt, and left bottom bolt are completely stripped. any idea or advice about getting it out besides drilling it out?...

(it makes me wonder how the previous owner changed the tire before he sold it to me?...)

Pegasus
03-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Just removed my belt guards on my 04' firebolt 12r today. Looks great! I followed tech magic's advice and took the swingarm brace off and then the upper guard off the brace. Went pretty well, besides a couple of screw heads that were a little chewed up, i'm surprised the bolts weren't super f'ed up after being in there for 7 years. I went ahead and took off the passenger peg brackets too. Thanks guys!

pamver
04-24-2011, 09:31 AM
how do i remove my lower beld guard of my 2010 xb12s?

g3STRIKES
05-19-2011, 07:28 PM
metal snips speed up job and make easy

thrstrmech
07-15-2011, 12:25 PM
sounds like this is in need prior to removal of the hardware...i use this on the hot section of aircraft turbine engines hardware, no issues after letting it soak/creep in
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/10624_20110715062038_L.jpg