PDA

View Full Version : tps reset

mitchell5
10-02-2008, 03:01 AM
So I finally got my race ecm, K&N and Jardine RT-1 exhaust installed. I took the bike to the dealer and had the tps reset. It ran well for about 5 miles then started idling around 3500 rpms......Got home and adjusted the idle.....but it is backfiring and popping excessivly off throttle. Do I need to get the tps reset again or is this pretty normal?

captain13ron
10-02-2008, 04:00 AM
high idle,and popping are characteristics of a very lean condition whatever the cause, IF.... it is indeed a lean condition i would not recommend driving back to the dealership, make arrangments. reset your idle back to original setting, then look for root problem, check for leak in intake, re-seat connectors, make sure throttle cable is in proper working condition, slight play, no binding, etc. check workmanship of installation.

mitchell5
10-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Thank you for your help! Is it possible to determine if its a lean condition just by looking at the spark plugs?

captain13ron
10-02-2008, 10:10 AM
yes, they will be very light tan,.....normal=dark tan,.....rich=black,sooty.

XBear9S
10-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Good info...
I can never get that right!

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"Avarice, envy, pride,
Three fatal sparks,
have set the hearts of all
who don't ride a Buell,
On Fire!"

--Dante Buellighieri

mitchell5
10-07-2008, 04:27 AM
After checking the plugs it looks as if it is running a bit lean. The only problem is the closest acutal buell dealership is 3 hours away (the harley dealership pretty much refuses to touch it.)

XBear9S
10-08-2008, 02:58 AM
If they don't want to work on it,
then DON'T go there.

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be, on some days...but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba..."

--HellBuelly Hunter T

silverfang
10-08-2008, 04:53 AM
so i was wanting to know if you would post the name of the harley dealer that won't work on your BUELL!