PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer problems

Dizzy
05-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Every once in awhile, I've noticed that my speedometer isn't working properly. I'll be in 2nd, but the speedometer will say I'm doing around 90! Or, it will do the opposite, I'll have it in 5th, and it will say I'm only doing about 30. It doesn't do it often, and I haven't found any common factor as to the days when it does it. But, I've also found that once I shut the bike off, and it cools down, next time I ride it, it's working properly. Any one else have this problem, or have any idea what's causing it?

mothumper610
06-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Check your speed sensor. my was acting funny not too long after i got it and i popped that out and cleaned it up. also check the plug for corrosion and proper connection. the speed sensor it located right to the left of the starter on the case.

Zeroflat24
06-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I actually had a speedo that went bad. it had a tiny crack on the back side i couldnt even see. i figure it must have gotten water in it. id be doing 50 mph, look down its working, then look down again and its off. i just bought a used one.

Dizzy
06-07-2012, 12:52 AM
Check your speed sensor. my was acting funny not too long after i got it and i popped that out and cleaned it up. also check the plug for corrosion and proper connection. the speed sensor it located right to the left of the starter on the case.

Would that cause it to do that just every once in awhile? It's maybe done it 4 times in the almost 4 years I've had it.