PDA

View Full Version : 2003 XB9S Shift Shaft Bushing Leak?

Hawaiian XB9S
10-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I noticed that the seal around my Shifter shaft is leaking. Is this going to be a hard thing to fix or is it just as simple as pulling the cover? Is it a press fit? Can I replace it without removing the side cover?

LeFox
10-04-2008, 07:07 AM
you will need to drain the oil, remove the side cover.

streetfighterxb9s
12-11-2008, 02:59 AM
I am having the same issue and I was told that I could remove the shifter shaft seal without pulling the primary cover by utilizing a pick or a hook tool. I have already removed the shifter clevis from the shaft and as soon as I get a pick or hook I will let you know if it works.

streetfighterxb9s
12-12-2008, 04:16 AM
Tonight I removed the shifter shaft seal with a hook tool and I didn't have to remove the primary cover. I was already performing a service on the bike so the oil was already drained. No problem removing the seal; just be careful with the tool because I can see where it would be easy to scratch the primary cover. Be sure you have a deep-well socket to place over the shifter shaft and tap easily with a hammer to set the seal in place when re-installing it. Good luck.

Stevenc150
12-12-2008, 04:35 AM
According to the date posted, over 2 months ago, hopefully he figured it out. :D