PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the Rear Brake

paerez
10-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Hey Guys,

I am tall (6'3") and I have a Blast. The problem I have is that since I am tall the angle that my right foot rests on the rear brake is quite uncomfortable.

Ideally, I'd like to have my ankle at 90, like I'm just sitting, but it's more like 70 degrees (so my toe is flexed up).

I was able to adjust the shifter easily for my left foot, but I can't figure out how to adjust the rear brake.

ezblast
10-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Why are you using the rear brake so much? Your riding on the street yes? In rain,dirt/gravel, on a hill, or perhaps racing, straight line emergency braking and wanting to look like Rossi - thats it for rear brake usage, I'm still like 80% original on my rear pads on both bikes - each with over 20,000 on them.
EZ

Lordfenwick
10-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Ez,

I use my rear brake loads. It is invaluable to settle the bike when you're hard into a corner. Try touching the front in the same situation - it will sit you up. Perhaps you're not trying hard enough ;)

paerez
10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Here is the main reason: I'm a new rider.

I want to have my foot over the brake so that if I have to make a quick stop, I don't have to flip my foot around it. Is it bad to cover the rear brake?

I usually try to do all my stopping by letting the engine pull the speed down by coming off the throttle very early before red lights, then just put a little bit of rear brake on so I coast gently to a stop.

Let me know if that's a bad thing! Should I be using my rear rarely and mostly relying on the front? I use the front when I really need to stop.

ezblast
10-06-2008, 03:06 PM
LOL - Keath Code and others would disagree - if you have to use your rear to set up, then you where too hot into it in the first place and are now scrubbing off valuable speed you could have used exiting the corner, Blasts are not fast enough toscrub off needed speed - sounds to me like your trying to hard to compensate for lack of judgment for the speed needed to go into the corner in the first place, not a shot, just something to practice more, you want to be smooth and accelerating out of a corner, setting up for the next or maxing out for the straight line ahead, not scrubbing off what little speed a Blast can make just to make the next corner.

Your front brake is more than adequate for even a quick stop - you can stoppie a Blast, if you want even more stopping power go to Galfer Sinstered Brake Pads - FD112 front - you'll be practically one finger with these, and they are gentler on the disc than the Ferado.
EZ

ezblast
10-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes - you should rarely be using your rear brake.
There are like a dozen pro racers who can trail brake into a corner safely and consistently, the majority don't. Simple fact. On a modern sport bike rear brakes are rarely used - if ever, in everyday riding.
EZ

Lordfenwick
10-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Ez,

Whilst I agree that trail braking is predominantly used in racing, it can also enhance control and add more evasive options for fast street riders making it very worthwhile to learn or at least understand. It is not a technique I would suggest for a new rider though.

Braking mid corner is, of course, to be avoided. However, the use of the rear brake can, as I said, be invaluable in settling a bike into the turn (I ride a firebolt with an Ohlins rear set 7mm higher to sharpen the steering), for adjusting your line when you haven't got room to pick the bike up, brake, then lay it down again and yes.....to deal with the odd occasion when you've piled into a corner far too hot and it tightens on you or you are faced with the biggest deposit of roadkill nature can conjure up!

Optimal braking is achieved through the use of both brakes with the bike upright. However, in excess of 85% of braking effect is achieved by the front brake alone. It is because of this that it is recommended that in the case of an emergency stop the rear is left alone. You have enough to worry about trying to avoid what it is you are about to hit without trying to control the correct application of both brakes.

My argument is that whilst most of everyday street braking can and should be achieved using the front brake, the use of the rear brake remains a very useful means of assisting in the control of your bike and as such, something that should not be dismissed or discouraged.

paerez
10-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the tips.

In the MSF course, we were taught a quick stop using both brakes. They told us that if we accidentally locked up the rear tire, leave it locked, but if we lock up the front, to release and re-apply.

So, I have been riding with my right foot over the rear brake just in case.

Do most riders cover the rear brake or put their foot under or away from it or what?

Stevenc150
10-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Do most riders cover the rear brake or put their foot under or away from it or what?

Myself, and most that I've paid attention to, put it under and cover whenever approaching a situation where they might need it. Though I've seen a few who ride with it outside.

Find what's comfortable for you and make it a habit by practicing the same movement everytime when stopping. That way if an emergency situation comes up, you're foot is already habited to coming out from under OR over from the side. Whatever you do, Ride Safe. [up]

ezblast
10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
I know, I just don't want to see every new rider trying to trail brake and high siding themselves - which can happen - better to keep such practice to the dirt, or track where it is safer to practice, or in low speed drills to practice skills - I've used the rear when I thought I was too hot, but it really is a practice to avoid on the street, besides the Blasts rear brake really sucks, I have my works shock set up very well on my bike and it can still get a bit light to the rear, and then just a very light tap/rub is needed to set up, but could just as easily an average rider could stomp it hard trying to scrub off speed and end up flying. It has been my experience - through asking - most racers hardly ever use their rear brake - period - Hayden Brothers, Rossi, and a few others do. Got to walk before you run.
EZ

BlackBlasterd
03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
The first mod I made was to get new footpegs. I am a hair over 6'3" so I really needed to lower them.

Got these on eBay: Buell Blast Rider Footpeg 1" Drop Black Sidetrax II
Sold by knight-design-llc
aliciak@knightdesignllc.com

They are Machined out of 6061-T6 billet aircraft aluminum. They are dropped 1". And they come 4.7" long. I made a request for 5" long and that is what they sent me. I went to the local Fastenall store to get the necessary longer clevis pins (6 for less than 2 bucks).

I just installed them today and man is the ride a bit more comfortable. My feet were falling off of those tiny stock pegs. And I'm not adjusting the shift peddle or the foot brake because now they are the perfect height.

I highly recommend these!

I'll be raising the seat height next. I have the lowered seat now. Gonna rip it apart and build it back up.

BlackBlasterd
03-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I am also a new rider and I was trained in the riders class to ALWAYS use both brakes. They said it so many times that I can hear them in my sleep.

So, after a few weeks of riding, I'm naturally using both brakes. However, I do notice that it is very natural to only use the front (very powerful) brake.

I think I'll keep my back brake at the ready until I'm a more experienced rider.

Midnight82
03-11-2010, 08:58 PM
I personally use both brakes all the time. I don't race, or drive TOO crazy. I'm more of the commuter type. I find that using both brakes allow me to control my bike better. Going too heavy on the front gives you that 'over end' feel when the bike dips when braking, using only rear just isn't as efficient as the front. So using both keeps your braking smooth and controlled.