PDA

View Full Version : Buell concept bike

1001yos
10-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Found this article on "TheKneeslider.com"

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/10/04/buellrod-revolution-engine-powered-buell-concept/

Lordfenwick
10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Take me to the dealer - I want one!

dmp0001
10-06-2008, 03:11 AM
I'll take that ove an 1125r any day. although I would like to see the fuel in the frame

sinpieces
10-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah, no question about that!
I wonder, since HD owns Buell, who really decides what's being released (and actually built) from Buell.
As i use to talk straight to most dealers, and almost all of them say Buell is dropping out. The true HD does not want the rotax. Most of the people i talk to wanted he V-rod or similar engine to go with Buell. Also, the concept bike Buell (in above link) looks way more "Buell" than the actual new Buells does. It seems, the project bikes and customized bikes (Buell based) are actually doing more of that progress, that customers wanted from Buell. Can't help to see it as, Buell go more mainstream. I think many brands are developing more in same same - style of manner. Evolution seems to mold them closer to each other. Originality is some what being lost in this progress.

XBear9S
10-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Well, ifin' someone had some serious start up cash, they could come up with a bright idea all their own and start off just like Erik did.

Who knows if it would pay off the same way, but you gotta think that anyone as talented as the guys who came up with that bike's gotta be able to come up with one completely original.

If Harley eventually bought into his ideas the way they did Buell, then Buell and his bikes would be able to "share" ideas as sister companies and we'd all be better for it...

I know I'd like a bike like that one...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is the Buell. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well without a Buell."

~ Dave Buellarry

BuellPartsGuy
10-07-2008, 08:35 PM
You guys would honestly take a V-Rod powered sportbike over a 1125R? [confused]

V-Rod - 125hp

1125R - 145hp...

unless they modified that V-rod engine, why?

FIDOSOL
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey BPG, think power delivery...

BuellPartsGuy
10-07-2008, 10:03 PM
What do you mean, think power delivery? 145 beats 125 in just about anything but golf. :p

I have ridden both bikes, granted a normal V-Rod is going to be heavier than that thing, but I wasn't that impressed with a V-Rod as I was with a 1125R. I dont know what you guys are basing this off of.

FIDOSOL
10-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Well I searched around and it seems that initially the throttle response and power delivery of the v-rod was much smoother than that of the 1125r.

1001yos
10-07-2008, 10:57 PM
that's probablly just mapping. But the whole premise is all AMERICAN bike here. (This comming from a Canuk)

XBear9S
10-08-2008, 02:14 AM
I personally find the 1125R and CR to be just about the ugliest thing that Buell has come up with yet. Power if fun and all, but I CHOSE my '03XB9S over the 12. Having the fastest bike on the block wasn't my sole goal here. If it was, I'd a gone with a gixxer...

I bought my Buell for the look, the sound AND the performance. Nothing has changed since then.

Now that bike in the link is very very pretty. If it performed as well as my bike with looks like its got and sounds every bit a pretty as a V-Rod. HELL YEAH I'd take it over the 1125R. Just like I'd take a nice S1 or another XB9S over an 1125 any day.

No apologies offered. Not even to the great BPG...

BuellPartsGuy
10-08-2008, 04:49 AM
Who says you have to own one bike? [confused]

sinpieces
10-08-2008, 09:15 AM
BPG,

i really wasn't impressed of the 1125R. I did ride it at two occasions. Second time i really though it was going to prove i was wrong. It is the most disappointing sportbike i have ridden during 2008, also the worst v-twin. I would easily take the Moto Morini corsaro veloce before the 1125R. The RC8 beats the crap out of 1125R. The 1125R doesn't best the RC8 in any area.
The originality is mere compaired to XB. V-rod engine had brought something back to the scene. Also, that could have been worked out with compressor or turbo as from fabric. I don't argue of the weight issues. I just find it strange, that the Roehr mange to put a bike up (v-rod based with supercharger). That was just about what i wanted from Buell, not as "faired", maybe!

I can't say more than Roehr refines what Jens Krüper did many years ago. Yes, he built the Buell XBK. Google away....

What do you mean, think power delivery? 145 beats 125 in just about anything but golf.

I have ridden both bikes, granted a normal V-Rod is going to be heavier than that thing, but I wasn't that impressed with a V-Rod as I was with a 1125R. I dont know what you guys are basing this off of.

BadS1
11-15-2008, 11:48 AM
If Buell put a V-Rod engine in a bike it would possibly be the companies demise. 1125R = 146 HP = $12,000. V-Rod powered Buell = 125 HP = $18-$20 PLUS. The price point would mean ton's of bikes not sold.

Roccodart440
11-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I agree with BadS1, the biggest drawback up to this pint with buell is the lack of power in comparasin to the compatition. This would be moving backwards unless they could get 146+ out of that vrod engine.

maybebuell
11-15-2008, 01:35 PM
[?] User Rank: Captain
Captain
I agree with BadS1, the biggest drawback up to this pint with buell is the lack of power in comparasin to the compatition. This would be moving backwards unless they could get 146+ out of that vrod engine.

that 146 is at the crank probably at the 120 hp on a high compression high reving motor....and vrod can make that kind of power....biggest draw back is dependability and high maintenance... only big hp motors made that hold up over years of riding is the metrics... vrod motor can make big power but whats the point ..people would rather have dependability ...take the xb12 put a dependable long lasting motor in that bike like a vrod with 100 hp at the rear wheel .and it would turn into a winner....buell riders dont buy buells for hp or to win races on the street

BadS1
11-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Don't think for a second Buell riders don't want towin races on the street. If your bike did and would you'd be happier with your bike more so then now. If they put a V-Rod engine in it. You and I most likely wouldn't buy it because it would be much more expensive. That would push consumers to buy the Gixxer or R1 for thousands less. Expect if it was to happen you are looking at 17-20 thousand dollar bike. All of the sudden the Rotax looks even more attractive because I can almost buy 2.

dmp0001
11-15-2008, 05:38 PM
What makes you think the vrod lump costs more than a rotax lump? Are we forgetting buell had to design the roxax unit? The vrod is an existing unit that they would have access to. I would bet it would be cheaper. I would like it more just because it has more low and midrange power. But the cost objective is not valid.

Thaloc
11-15-2008, 05:59 PM
The vrod is an existing unit that they would have access to.
actually harley got help from porsche on the Vrod engine

BadS1
11-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Actually,Erik designed an alot on that engine but it never became his. Jon Flickinger was asked this two years ago at a Homecoming dinner. He said it would make the bike to expensive for the consumer,It would be a very heavy motor. I'm not forgetting anything... I'm stating what came right out of the horses mouth. Also this has been told to me years before and friends that work there told me why. The V-Rod is HD. Sorry but I wouldn't want the V-Rod engine. I like the Rotax/Buell design. Very lite and much more HP can be made.

maybebuell
11-15-2008, 10:14 PM
What makes you think the vrod lump costs more than a rotax lump? Are we forgetting buell had to design the roxax unit? The vrod is an existing unit that they would have access to. I would bet it would be cheaper. I would like it more just because it has more low and midrange power. But the cost objective is not valid. .....buell did not design the rotex there are other motorcycles over seas that run the rotex motor in sport bikes...i believe its an australian company they build motors for other big name motorcycles also......vrod motor would not be more money than a rotex probably less

maybebuell
11-15-2008, 10:20 PM
[?] User Rank: Captain
Captain
Don't think for a second Buell riders don't want towin races on the street. If your bike did and would you'd be happier with your bike more so then now. If they put a V-Rod engine in it. You and I most likely wouldn't buy it because it would be much more expensive. That would push consumers to buy the Gixxer or R1 for thousands less. Expect if it was to happen you are looking at 17-20 thousand dollar bike. All of the sudden the Rotax looks even more attractive because I can almost buy 2.
Posted:
all motorcycles and cars ect ect and everything else.are over priced..one good thing over the next few years you will be paying a few thousand less for all motorcycles pic your spots and make a deal r1 and gixers are more money a 600 runs close to 9000 or more thats crazy and the 1000 on up are more....

BadS1
11-15-2008, 10:22 PM
The V-Rod motor is much more. That was also asked of Flickinger. And yes Buell did design the engine. The degree is what makes it fit in the frame. Buell worked hand and hand with Rotex trust me.

Roccodart440
11-15-2008, 11:26 PM
So why not make the concept bike with the 1125? What is better about the VRod wngine? I still don't see it?

Buell owners care about power and buell has finally started impressing more of the masses with this 1125. I think that needs to continue.

1001yos
11-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Call me crazy, but I'm still pumped about the purity of the existing firebolt. It's the rawest form of a motorbike around and still one kickass bike. I guess I'm kind of a purist. The V-rod engine could be used, but I think that wont change any ammount of sales. The "masses" are still driven by stats and top specifications. The Buell will never be there, but will have more character than any other bike in my opnion.

BadS1
11-16-2008, 12:23 AM
1001yos,

My feeling the same. Man.... a year ago I knew what was about to be a couple days before release of the 1125 and I went down to my dealer two days before having Erik and band playing at my bar and put 500 down for the first to come through the doors. Then Sunday came at Road America and and we all got to see it. I then changed my mind 24 hours later. I like the engine on the 1125r and thats it. To me the bike looks like a mixture of past bikes. Front fairing. It looks like a XBRR with lights. Everything else it looks like a firebolt from 2003 to present. When I bought my XB. It had a fresh look as far as the appearance was concerned. Thats what I'm waiting on and I'm patient.

Tork
11-16-2008, 04:38 AM
The 1125 motor is not an off-the-shelf item. Rotax built the 1125 motor to Buell's specifications. That motor is not used in any other bike. Other bikes may have a Rotax motor, but not the 1125 motor.

Personally, I'm not a fan of any efforts to put the V-Rod motor in an XB. It's a nice motor for the V-Rod, but it's not what the XB needs. I think that by the time you make the necessary modifications necessary to fit and run the V-Rod mill, you'd end up with a 500 lb bike that wouldn't be as flickable as the XB we currently enjoy.

I'm not saying the XB platform couldn't use a more refined and powerful motor (I think the Rotax is a step in the right direction), but the V-Rod motor is better suited as a cruiser motor. The XB's trademark characteristics are torque and handling. That's what makes them fun. Sacrifice either for trying to keep up with the I4s in the straights and you've robbed the XB of it's soul.

Just my .02
-Tork

XBear9S
11-17-2008, 06:56 PM
How did we get a V-Rod motor into an XB. That's not where this conversation started. It was about another person who came up with a Buell-like design built around a V-Rod engine. Or so I thought.

It was visually appealing, and it seemed (to me) that a V-Rod engine in a nice sportbike frame might, could be, a fun thing to see in reality.

Would it out-perform any Buell. Well, probably not. Would that make it less worth doing. Probably not.

There's a market out there for American V-twin Sportbikes. Right @ the moment, Buell owns that market. I just think that competition could/would be a good thing, and that if someone was able to build a bike as pretty as the one in the link, and then get it to perform @ the level any Buell is performing @ these days, that would be awesome.

I repeat; the 1125's that are out right now, hold no interest to a die-hard Bueller such as myself. So, anyone who wanted to niche market to someone like me, has a chance of finding a Customer.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed, (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of V-Twin Riding Hooligans, all of them imaginary."

--H.L. MenckenBuelly

maybebuell
11-17-2008, 09:43 PM
bear...i thnk a vrod motor in a buell will out perform the buells make today..has just as much tq and and probably 25...30 more hp..against the rotex probably not...bumping up the compression and cam change from the factory would take care of that..i like the looks of the buells just dont like a motor that need lots of maintenance and at 50.000 is look at as high mileage needing a rebuild.....vrod motor for the most part will have far less problems and much longer life...thats part of the fun factor also