PDA

View Full Version : rizoma racing front pulley cover

MustangGuy
05-30-2012, 06:54 AM
I guess this pulley cover is desirable aftermarket part, but the clear part has issues. As you can see in the pic, there are stress cracks in a few places. Something was spilled on it at some point and there are drip marks that are actually embedded in the plastic. I tried using 3M's headlight restoration kit and it didn't help. I'm thinking of trying to find a shop that can duplicate the piece in plexiglass. The original might be made of lexan, but I'm not sure. I've looked around on the 'net but the clear window is not available alone. Anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/13425_20120530004637_L.jpg

50dro
05-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Try tracing the shape on a new piece and either cutting it on a band saw (slowly) and drilling the holes or maybe cutting it with a good pair of shears or scissors. It's hard to tell from the pic but it appears that it's pretty thins so shears/scissors may be an option. Lexan and Plexiglass are both trade names for very similar products so I don't think you'll get any huge gains from one to the other...

Obviously, the best way would be to have someone laser cut you another one but that will probably get expensive.

Good luck!

PJFZ1
05-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Hey, MustangGuy. The replacement lexan is available. The part number is ZZB020-03. But if you take the window you have to any good glass shop, you should be able to get one made out of a stronger material, and it shouldn't cost too much.

MustangGuy
05-30-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and info! I'll let ya know how I make out.

MustangGuy
05-31-2012, 12:40 AM
Hey PJ - crazy but I still can't find the clear part separate from the whole unit... Which looks like even if I could find the plastic only, it would be coming from Europe. Seems like it should be something readily available though.

Anyway, I'm thinking I may just order a lexan sheet and cut it by hand. I have Lexan scissors from my RC days. I think I could get away with a thickness of .02 or .03 " because it's not a big area that it covers and it doesn't need to support anything. I didn't measure the original piece's thickness but I would guess its no more than 1/16th of an inch. Page-sized lexan sheets in .03 and .06" (about 1/32" and 1/16") are readily available from hobby sites. I think the whole thing should cost less than $20.

vtech007
05-31-2012, 06:41 AM
I believe the stock clear material is acrylic (PlexiGlas) because Laxan is unbreakable and wouldn't crack. If you are going to DYI a replacement, go with Lexan.

MustangGuy
05-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I think I'm going to try that.