PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Jardine slip on?

T town
10-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Just wondering if anyone can give feedback on aftermarket exhuast. I am looking for a more throaty sound but I'm not trying to spend $1500 to get it. The Jardine slip on muffler is about all I can find. Can anyone tell me if it produces a good rumble, and maybe give me something to compare it to? I don't want my bike to sound like Jap Crap! I want that Harley lope if possible. I don't want to buy something and then be unhappy with what I get. Any input would be appreciated.

XBear9S
10-08-2008, 02:35 AM
There are countless threads on exhausts here. Just use the search function...

Try "Jardine"...

Robtk! a.k.a "Special K"

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for they are subtle and quick to wheelie!"

--JRR1000 Tolkien

Stevenc150
10-08-2008, 02:57 AM
T town

Click the following link and download the file by clicking the XB Exhaust Shootout link. You'll find reviews of some of the available exhausts AND Soundbites, so you'll have an idea of how they sound. Very informative so enjoy. XB Exhaust System Shoot-out (http://www.americansportbike.com/)

LeFox
10-08-2008, 07:29 AM
click (http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sale/Buell-Parts-for-Sale/New-in-box-jardine-exhaust-FS) ;)

FIDOSOL
10-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Hey Robtk, got a quote for ya...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Buells, for you are Carbon Fiber, and good with Ketchup..

firechickenXB9R
10-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I love my Jardine.:D:p

loser54023
10-08-2008, 10:25 PM
I HAVE THE JARDINE PIPE AND LOVE IT. IT'S LOUDER THAN MY SPORTSTER WITH SCREAMING EAGLE PIPES ON IT. NOT RICEY AT ALL.

FIDOSOL
10-08-2008, 10:27 PM
You had to repack it yet?

firechickenXB9R
10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
yes When it blow the front off i repacked it.

FIDOSOL
10-09-2008, 09:43 PM
How much did that run you? How much "fun" was it?

JacobsBuell
10-17-2008, 05:36 AM
I bought the Jardine slip on back in July and I love it. It's turned a lot of heads and started a lot of conversations. It sounds so good just idling. When you roll off the throttle or down shift at higher rpms, it gives a nice little backfire that my friends love during a group ride. [cool] I recommend it. It sounds way better in person than a video camera's mic can pick up for youtube.

firechickenXB9R
10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
I think it would be like 20-30 buck! But not sure since i had the stuff lying around the house. It is really easy to do, just drill out the rivits pull it apart, then rewrap and reverse. It so sounds good at idle, then you crack the throttle and well it affects people differently, i love that pure power sound.

Thaloc
10-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I didnt know you had to repack Jardines alot. Im so not good at that stuff. Im pretty sure im going with the drummer once I can re-map my ecm. I really like the stock exhaust look better than all aftermarket designs, and drummer just shortens/lightens it. Thanks to Kevin at KD Fab for clearing up all my questions btw!

swood1001
10-20-2008, 10:09 PM
anyone here familiar with the Scorpion slip-on(BU50/50SSO) for the xb9r? [confused]

scanc
12-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Здорово!Кто нибудь по *усски говорит? Я из Питера.У меня Buell XB 12R.Ищу тюнинг.

ADAMLEE
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
)(*^(*&%*$(&%$^*&&)_*(_)(+_*(^%^%&*$%#^&%&^*(*)_(+_(*&^%$#^&%*()()()++_()+_

Understand??

climberfreak
12-02-2008, 09:51 PM
lol he forgot to hit the english button

RHYNOXB9R
12-03-2008, 12:55 AM
i have the jardine rt1,loud as ****,does need repacking at about 6000 miles on it,if i had to buy again it would be the jardine or d-n-d.

climberfreak
12-03-2008, 02:25 AM
i love my jardine as well sounds cool and is light . . . the dnd sounds much meaner though

EVLXB
12-04-2008, 12:45 AM
I just bought a carbon Jardine and love the look and sound - install was a real pain in the ass though. But worth the trouble.

paslima
10-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I installed the carbon fiber one in my 08/09 Ulysses and it´s great. The only thing that bothers me is the constant (LOUD) backfiring. Any of u guys have ideas on how to stop it?

xxspudxx
10-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Tune it out with TunerPro, or get the EBR Race ECM.

Phazernut
10-20-2010, 11:02 AM
I had it on my 12Ss and absolutly hated it. Way too loud and I lost a crap load of power in the bottom end. They are known to fall apart after a while as well. My reccomendation is go with the Hawk performance muffler. Nice deep sound and the best customer service you can get.

Paniller
10-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I HAVE THE JARDINE PIPE AND LOVE IT. IT'S LOUDER THAN MY SPORTSTER WITH SCREAMING EAGLE PIPES ON IT. NOT RICEY AT ALL.
Sounds like it's so loud that it even makes you yell when you type. Deafening!

paslima
10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
tks... will do it. Someone told me about the ECM SPY also. I dont know if that´s good too.

bobaganoosh
10-20-2010, 12:17 PM
ive bought mine used and have put 5000 miles on since and its been perfect. havent repacked yet and its not really that loud i think. a harley w pipes is way louder

joser
10-20-2010, 12:19 PM
who cares how it sounds as long as the bike performs better. I have a Jardine GP1 slip on, honestly I dont think its all that loud. I idled it next to some coworkers harleys and R6's and the pipe is almost right in the middle. not too high pitch and not abnoxiously harley "fag" loud.

TooFst
10-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I repacked mine around 7k after reading it should be done every 5k. Super easy, cost twelve bucks. The front of the packing material was super burnt/ brittle. (looked like it needed to be done) Oh yea,Anyway I love the pipe. Sound and performance. Would do it again forsure. A friend of a friend works at the local HD stealership. Got it for 185$ employee cost.

The poping is your motor running lean. Won't hurt it just annoying. Just don't do a high flow air cleaner without remapping or race ECM cuz then you can do some damage.

WALLSXB
10-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I have the aluminum jardine and a pro series filter on my STT and i rarely get popping on deaccel. I'm kinda tossed as to if i should change out the ecm or not. I think the sound is great, especially when you start it up after getting fuel , it scares the hell out of people and has set off car alarms .

BKKBuell
10-20-2010, 06:12 PM
So there are so many Jardine around in this forum... Answer me a simple question: WHY NON OF YOU COULD GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THE CHIN FAIRING????click (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Buell-aftermarket-parts/Jardine-and-chin-fairing)

WALLSXB
10-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I bought mine new in august and it came with the brackets for the chin . No problem installing it and looks great.

Lando
10-20-2010, 06:16 PM
interesting to see everyone say they get 5 to 7K out of there Jardine pipes... I have the Jardine GP1 and need to repack every 4k. I've had it for about 10k now, had to pack it twice, costs about $30 to do and takes about 1 hour.
I love the way it looks and sounds.

badxb
10-20-2010, 06:18 PM
because the brackets are meant to come with the pipe!!!!

NewfieBoy
10-20-2010, 08:40 PM
The Jardine pipe is lowgrade garbage. The materials are flimsy and weak, the welds break, the rivets shear off, the packing blows out way too fast. The sticker on the sides melt and the rivet holes open up like Madonnas mouth. Worst piece of **** ive ever wasted my money on. Good luck getting Jardine to respond to any emails or calls. IMO, save up for something else.

mikeb2275
10-20-2010, 09:03 PM
picked my buell up last spring and came with the jardine and I love it my bike has around 8k on it now I've put 4.5k on it and have had no problems

Keib07
01-26-2011, 06:37 AM
I love the sound of my jardine :D

BuellerPilot
01-26-2011, 07:26 AM
A lot of people rippin on the Jardine.

Here's some info some don't seem to realise.

ALL mufflers with fiberglass packing HAVE TO BE REPACKED and have a service life. This is even more so the case when running a big displacement V-twin.

Most people with other engine configurations don't realize the packing has burnt up and rarely repack for a couple reasons. One being its a gradual deterioration and over time they just don't notice their bikes (street bikes, dirt bikes, quads etc.) have progressively gotten louder. Another reason is after the packing has burnt out, typically those other configuration engines don't blow the mufflers apart. Most street bike, even dirt bike and quads lack the displacement and have they're power bands higher in the RPM's where they typically don't spend the majority of life at. The big V-twins have their power bands low, where we spend most of the time in, so the big strong pulses are always beating on the exhaust system, where other engine configurations get their destructive exhaust pulses higher in the RPM's (Where you aren't at 80% of the time) and also have smaller pulses (even if we use the same displacement, you have more cylinders to divided the size of the pulses and typically they are evenly spaced out).

Even Drummers need re-packing (just do a search) both the modded stocker and the highly prized stainless system.

The MICRON systems, which are Superiorly engineered tend to crack in several places.

Most exhaust systems from the after market it seems the manufactures don't seem to understand that the big V-Twin has a STRONG and big volume and uneven pulse. This big ass uneven pulse tends to rip apart system which normally would survive on an inline 4 just fine (smaller pulses, evenly spaced). Can't blame them for just designing something their used to surviving fine for a nitch market of a bike that won't sell in the volumes like others (think how many R1's, CBR's etc are out on the road). They are just sticking to what they are used to working just fine.

There are several HIGH quality packings that can be utilized to make repacking times longer or even indefinitely no longer needed. There's ceramic and rock-wool along with stainless wool.

The packing is what absorbs the sound waves we are trying to cancel out. These sound waves have strong pulses (duh). Once the packing degrades the sound waves now beat the **** out of an empty can and can destroy it (as can be seen by some Jardine owners). It's a series of explosions in the can that constantly beat on it. The packing absorbs this, no more packing, the the sound beats on the can.

Could it be designed better? Hell yes! But again it goes back to the manufactures just doing what they are used to and what they are used to doing normally survives just fine on other bikes.

The Jardine looks and sounds great (opinion based) for what it cost.

So, re-pack it with some high quality **** and forget about it.

~Mike......

BuellerPilot
01-26-2011, 11:58 AM
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Buell-aftermarket-parts/Drummer-vs.-Jardine

yellow50
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
my only complaint is it is too loud after extended rides. I am going to order the quiet module and see if that helps at all.

BuellerPilot
01-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Re-Packing discussion.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Repacking-Exhaust

~Mike......

BKKBuell
01-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Forget Jardins mufflers... send your original muffler to randy hakins to get it modified. You will get the most best performing and soundwise most powerfull exhaust there is available.
This is what I did and replaced my crappy Jardine.. BTW I would give this Jardin muffler for 100 USD exl shipment... but I do not recommend it!!!
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4536_20100110212718_L.jpg

MotoX6
03-01-2011, 02:08 PM
anyone reset their stock ecm for the jardine? i got a 2003 xb9 right now and thinkin about usin ecmspy to reset it...lemme know if this is smart or not.

FireBolter413
03-26-2012, 04:57 AM
i have the rt1 and i dislike it. im gonna get a hawk once mine blows out

freak2180
03-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Way to resurrect the dead [up]

noone1569
03-26-2012, 08:05 AM
I've had a Jardine for going on three years now.

Like said above, this pipe needs maintenance, just like any pipe of this sort.

You must repack it. YOU MUST REPACK IT, if not it will rattle around too much and break ****. LET ME SAY AGAIN, YOU MUST REPACK IT.

I just upgraded mine to the Ti cannister, much nicer.

As for Jardine's customer service, I've been in contact with them half a dozen times and have received nothing but the best service. They even let me send them an overnight shipping label so I didn't have to get charged their rates.

As for packing:

http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/9080-Packing.html

use that. Much better. Steel wool and fiberglass pillows, good for 10k no problem.

fireinxb
03-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Well since this thread is back ill give some input. I like my jardine, i bought it used, repacked it, and it sounds awesome. It gives some noticeable gains over stock, and looks cool. I have a GP1 so it actually routes the exhaust to the back instead of dumping on my legs when im at stoplights - so i dont smell like **** after riding.

There are better pipes out there, of course. It's not as bad as some crack it up to be. I reflashed my ecu to the factory racemap and with the jardine and a UNI intake my bike runs great.

Morbid
03-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Love my Jardine it was even more awesome sounding before I put the QMI in it. Before the QMI it was loud enough that I almost could not hear all the valve train noise but the droning in the helmet without the QMI insert was driving me nuts. QMI instert makes the Jardine tame down just enough that it don't drone in my helmet but now I can hear the valve train noise again......damn noisy arse Buell engines:)

rusko466
03-26-2012, 10:09 AM
When repacking be sure to flip the outlet to the right ;);)

vaxb12r
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
I was on the fence about a jardine gp1 but I am really thinking about getting one now. I have a buell pro series that I wrapped to try and keep the motor a little cooler but I really like the carbon fiber gp1. I guess I will try and find a disgruntled jardine owner and try to get a trade.

fireinxb
03-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Heads up, i think 2 things about the gp1.

1) i do NOT have sound issues. Mine is no louder than my brother race kit, and sounds BETTER in both our opinions.

2) i feel that the jardine gp1 because of the way it outlets the exhaust through a longer tube - in turn has more backpressure(this is all speculation) and thus does not have the "torque issue" you may have read about. My bike and my brothers have equal mods. Both have uni intakes, oem buell race map flashed, and mine with a GP1 and his a race pipe. My bike is faster, and is torquier. I think this is more of a tuning issue than anything, and would expect them both with perfect tunes to make basically the same power.

GAXB9R
03-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Way to resurrect the dead

This is awesome. The thread was dead for over a year and we can still talk about it like it was yesterday. Nothing ever gets old[up]

kevinc6639
03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
I have the RT-one on my XB9R. I got the ECMspy and tuned it. As for the popping on decel, you can lean out your fuel map for closed throttle or check the box that says cut fuel on decel. I opted to lean out the fuel map so I have better throttle response when I roll back into it. I love the way it sounds, and everybody I ride with does too. Harley guys look at me different, and the rice-rockets fear me:D