PDA

View Full Version : handling observation from a new guy!

MustangGuy
06-02-2012, 08:17 PM
I haven't had my Firebolt that long, so every ride is still like the first time (without being nervous though - LOL!) I keep comparing it to my 2012 Ninja 650 - hope I'm not boring anybody! Before I bought the Firebolt, I read as much info on them that I could find. Some people think they can be a little "twitchy" when it comes to handling. Actually, comparing it to the Ninja, I find that's not the case at all. I do have a dampener on the Buell, but I doubt it makes much of a difference with my conservative riding. The Ninja isn't twitchy... it seems to respond quicker than the Buell when I ask it to lean, but it doesn't feel as planted and inspiring as the Buell. The Buell on the other hand, does require a little more input in turns but tells me "give me all you got, you'll chicken out way before I'm at my limit!" Great fun! I know tires can make a gigantic difference.... the Ninja has Dunlops with less than 1K miles and the Firebolt has aging (but not bald) Corsa III's. I can't wait to see what it's like with the 2CT Pilots!

BuddhaBuell
06-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Make sure your suspension settings are correct for your weight & riding style, new rubber will also help but imho I have found my Buell to be one of the most responsive bikes I have owned in 28yrs of riding streetbikes.

I only have to think aboot turning in for a corner and BamBam is already doing it effortlessly, the short wheelbase makes it insanely easy to toss around in the twisties.

As for people thinking they are twitchy, sometimes during WOT the short wheelbase that makes Buells handle like they are on rails carving it up is a hinderance on straight hi speed runs

Keep enjoying your new baby, ride safe
:)