PDA

View Full Version : Valve seals

2StangBK
10-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Anybody have valve seal issues on XB12 S or R's? I have 7k miles on my 04 XB12S. I noticed a bit of studder at cruise rpms so I pulled the plugs to see what was up inside. The front cylinder was a little oil fouled, not completely fouled but getting there. The back cylinder looked perfect, light brown with a tinge of white on top. I opened the throttle blade so I could shine a light down inside the throttle body and noticed a little bit of oil sitting around the valve seat. Not to many places that could come from... Anybody else have anything like that? Was there a recall or service bulletin about valve seals or valve guides? Thanks for any help,
BK

LeFox
10-09-2008, 10:12 AM
no recall that i know off...

has been bike been standing for some time?

2StangBK
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, it's an 04 with 7400 miles on it. The last thousand I have put on it myself in the last month or so since I have owned it. I can't speak for the other 6400 but I'm sure it has sat some from time to time. Whats your thoughts LeFox?

LeFox
10-09-2008, 09:56 PM
well if oil is getting in, it's either that or the piston rings.
both can go bad when sitting for some time...

looked into the matter and seen several issues with the seals, expecially earlier ones.

2StangBK
10-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Kinda my thoughts too. Rings going bad means compression loss as well as smoke in most instances. I have no smoke issues according to the guys I ride with, usually I'm in front anyway!!! I talked to a contact at my local dealer and he mentioned that some of the sportsters had some valve seal issues from 04 to 05 so I was kinda trying to put the Buell heads in the same group of parts if you know what I mean.