PDA

View Full Version : Trouble connecting ecmspy to bike

snrusnak
06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Hey I had my laptop all set up to communicate with the bike but my laptop crashed and I had to format the hd and reinstall everything. I got ecmspy installed again, and tried installing the cable driver(s) but it's not communicating. I can't remember how I did it in the past as it was a long time ago.

The driver came on a cd with ecmspy when I bought the cable, and the instructions aren't really clear. I double clicked the file that says is the driver, and a DOS window opens in windows then says "driver installed" or something like that, but it won't communicate. I remember having issues the first time I installed it, but then it just suddenly worked...

Anyone maybe know what I'm doing wrong?

Oh and I'm using an old 2005 laptop running Windows XP. It's an old laptop but runs ok.

djohnk
06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
I think I used a driver from here:

USB com port driver (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm)

Look below "Comments" on the right hand side in the table half-way down the page ... it says "setup executable", that's probably the one you want.

snrusnak
06-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a shot....

Oldgit
06-05-2012, 04:18 PM
USB drivers can be a real pain in the arse. If djohnk's advice doesn't help I'd recommend going into Device Mangler (Manager) and remove the USB device that is using the driver you supplied, then allow it to autodetect a driver when you plug in the cable and attach it to the bike. I'm being purposely vague here as I have no idea which device it would be.

snrusnak
06-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Device Mangler

lol [up]

I'll try what he said and if it doesn't work check back.

snrusnak
06-06-2012, 04:04 AM
That link you posted, I downloaded and installed the .exe you mentioned(although not for XP I don't think) and it didn't work. I then downloaded and installed the one for XP a little further up, still nothing. FWIW it looked like basically the same file(driver) that I already had from my disc.

Any other thoughts? (oldgit I didn't really understand your comments....)

netty2424
06-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Same issue here. I bought the cable/ECMspy disc and couldn't get it to communicate. Directions are not at all clear. Got frustrated, told myself to come back to it and never did. Guess I should get back on it. Keep us posted if you figure it out?

Someone could probably do alright if they cleaned that process up a little and started to sell them. I emailed the dude I bought the cable /software from.....he wasn't any help, didn't care to help. [down]

Oldgit
06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Snr: go into device manager and expand the USB section. Take a screenshot and post it here. We'll proceed from there. Bear in mind I'm across the pond so each reply will take 1/2 day.