PDA

View Full Version : Strange things with lights...

karlh
06-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I have a 2006 XB12X and just had the front forks resealed. I got it back (after a 2 month wait) and everything seemed fine.
2 days later my blinkers stopped working, the next day my low beam went out but the hi beam works fine. Assuming the headlight blew, I replaced the bulb, still isn't working. Then my tail light stopped working, although the break light is fine.
I've gone through the wiring as much as i can, and cannot find any exposed wires, chaffing, burnt fuses, loose connections, or obvious problems.
I'm at wits end and I'm afraid the crappy mechanic that did my shocks messed something up.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

kbaddict
06-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Sounds like corrosion. Take your taillight off and check the bulb. I bet there is some built up crude on there. Also, take apart your blinker assembly on the handle bars and check the connections in there.

karlh
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Checked the blinker assembly already. I figured it could be the reason some things still worked. I can try checking the tail light right now.

Thanks!

Lesley
06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
It could also just be a lost ground. Get a short ( 12" ) wire and strip it on both ends. Use it as a test jumper. You said the tail lights quit working so turn them on and jump the wire from a point you know is grounded and touch the metal part of tail light housing. You know just fiddle with the bare jumper and see if you can get anything of your problems to go away. If they do then start chasing grounds. [up] Good luck

karlh
06-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Update:
I tried the jumper, with no apparent difference. But I do have some new information now.
After trying the starter, I started the bike up to let it run (as it hasn't been going anywhere). I heard a strange noise and turned it off. Now, when I turn the bike on (key on and engine kill switch on) the bike just starts up.
I determined the noise I heard was the starter engaging while the bike was running, and the only thing I can think of having a problem is the ECM.
Does that sound right? Why else would the bike randomly start?
I tried turning the key on and off, bike starts when you turn the key. I tried flicking the engine kill switch, bike starts when it's on.
between the lights being weird, and now this, what could possibly be the problem?

Thanks to anybody trying to help. I'm a new member and I'm really impressed with this community.

Lesley
06-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Sounds like it is the ignition switch that is faulty. I am only guessing though. Bump for some more answers/feedback.

Help this new fellow guys [up]

karlh
06-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Well, it's on its way to my local Harley dealership. I hate dealing with those guys, but I seem to have no choice anymore. I'll post what the results are when I get them. Thanks everyone!

Iamarchangel
06-08-2012, 06:42 PM
kbaddict is right. You're looking for a corroded ground wire within a connector. You'll have to wiggle all the light connections until the noise stops. The noise is actually the best part because a) it is a serious clue and b) you can hear it without looking at the lights. When you wiggle a connector and it stops, that's the connector.

I hope this is in time to stop it from going to the shop because you don't want to pay shop rate for a search mission.

karlh
06-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I tried every connector. Started by finding which ones even touched the starter, then unplugged them to be sure. I couldn't find anything wrong, anywhere. I even tried a voltmeter to check power flow... everything seemed to be working. Tried the same with all the lights. It's like a gremlin crawled in there and started just messing with things.

Oldgit
06-09-2012, 09:06 PM
If I read what you typed right, it sounds like your starter button is jammed or as mentioned already there's some sort of ignition issue. Remove the ignition and see if the connections are clean.

karlh
06-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Button worked fine. Ignition seemed fine too. No obvious issues at least. Would the ignition affect the lights do you think?

christianmb
06-09-2012, 10:10 PM
It could if the relay is malfunctioning. If you notice, when they are working correctly, the headlights and everything turns off when the starter is engaged. You might be having a problem with the starter relay sticking.

karlh
06-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Picking it up today. It was indeed the relay that was fried. Thanks for the help everybody!