PDA

View Full Version : Minor vibration when coming to a stop and a fork click

zero
10-10-2008, 08:27 AM
First.. let me say, I'm loving the buell. its awesome. What a great design. The v-twin together with the sport frame and the street fighter riding position.. its awesome.

Just got it about 991 miles ago. Its in the dealer getting its 1000 mile oil changes etc (last time I bring it there just for costs sake).

I mentioned 3 things to the guy to check. (of course i am sure they wont, the guy didn't even listen to me.. he did write something similar to my complaints. but different enough where they won't make sense to the tech).

When I am cruising up to a stop, clutch in.. 5-3 mph , I get a vibration that feels like running over rough pavement, it happens with brakes on or off. Then it goes away right before I stop, at a mph or 2. Was thinking it might be normal buell stuff due to having a primary chain. I feel it in the bars.. pegs and pedals. Like rough pavement like I said.

I also get a little clunk in the forks when I bounce the bike. It feels a tiny bit like a head bearing. But I dont get any hunting under hard braking or anything.
It might be the valving in the fork or something. I don't know. I've never owned anything quite this sporty. I had an FZ6, which probably was faster and handled great but it didn't have an adjustable fork or anything.(nor any personality).

And, I get an occasional pop out the intake when I burp the throttle downshifting

quite possible all 3 of these are part of being a buell.
I'm a bit sensitive to noises and vibrations. Pretty good at diagnosing these type things in cars but I'm not much of a bike mechanic and Im not familiar with buell/harley at all.

any of those things bad or "un normal" Honestly,.. the vibration and the fork "click" you'd have to be more sensitive to those things than average. But the intake backfire is pretty obvious.

Thanks... I hope to be buellin for a long time.

LeFox
10-10-2008, 10:57 AM
backfire when playing the throttle when downshifting when nearing it's maintenance can be normal.

i would upgrade to iridium spark plugs, which will help.

for the vibration, i would see if the bike still has it after the service.
if it does, would look into the head bearing and the way it's tightened. ;)

zero
10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
actually. It didn't backfire the last hundred miles or so. (different gas?)

I was curious as to the primary chain maybe causing the vibration.
Maybe the clutch. But I will check the head If its still there when done.
Hopefully my complaint will get them checking.. But having to remove the bars.. they probably wont.

Bill2
10-26-2008, 05:09 AM
That pop thru the intake is because it's set a little lean off idle and the reason is the epa and buell trying to meet the epa pollution specs. The hose re-route mod helps that a lot and its easy to do. But to get rid of it 100% you will have to change the air/fuel ratio with something like ecmspy. The same thing happen on carburated models and going to a bigger idle jet and adjusting the a/f screw tuned it right out. I just rejetted a suzuki vertical twin cylinder carbrated model backfiring thur the carb ( same as buell poping thur the intake) because of being set lean off idle from the factory for the same reasons the buells are (epa) BTW it won't do it near as much if you wait for the engine to warm up completely before hitting the throttle fast.

Stevenc150
10-26-2008, 05:30 AM
Hose Re-route (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Re-route-hoses) Easy Mod & Highly Recommended. ;)

gbalias
11-09-2008, 03:12 AM
the vibration when coming to a stop is normal. if you wanna minimize it...you can add a few degrees of timing to the front and rear cylinders. 6 or so on the front and 5 degrees on the rear. or keep it simple and do the same to both.

this should be done on the 800, 1000, 1350 rpm ranges and on 10, 20 TPS 8bit (2 deg at the 800 will be easier for turnover if it gives you problems)