PDA

View Full Version : Rattling sound

gotboost2jz
06-11-2012, 04:25 AM
Been noticing a slight rattling sound lately. It's barely noticeable at idle. Sounds almost like a loose part. When riding it gets a little louder but at 3.5-4k rpm it's def the most noticeable. Above 4k I don't really here it. And maybe it's just in my head because I hear a noise but the bike feels a little less willing to rip (again, could just be my subconscious telling me not to beat the throttle)
Wondering if it's just in need of a valve adjustment? Or perhaps something else. I'd like to have a dealership knock it out but I'm not going to pay to have then troubleshoot and do a full on service interval and charge an arm and a leg for whatever they feel they want to do.

Thanks all

nikfleisch
06-11-2012, 04:31 AM
I've contributed that sound to it being a buell... haha forget it and ride.

Oldgit
06-11-2012, 07:35 AM
What model and year is it?

All Buells have an "industrial" sound (some would quip its more agricultural). However if its an old-ish model the primary chain could be loose, which would manifest as excessive rattling at low speed. It could also be down to the oil you use.

The valves auto-adjust themselves.

gotboost2jz
06-11-2012, 02:35 PM
While I agree that Buells make weird sounds, it concerns me because the sound was never there before. It just became apparent a few days ago thus telling me (by my way of thinking at least) something might be a little off.
I changed the oil 1k miles ago with Mobil 1. It hasn't rattled until now. But I have heard that Amsoil is the best for eliminating noise and smoothing the gearbox out. I was just in a pinch and needed the oil changed asap and mobil 1 could be found at all the auto stores right around me.

gotboost2jz
06-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh sorry, It's a 2004 xb12 with 6500 miles. I purchased it the end of April with 5500 miles.

Also, my sportster didn't make this sound either.

konarider94
06-11-2012, 03:00 PM
do you have a stock exhaust?

gotboost2jz
06-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes, stock everything.

konarider94
06-11-2012, 03:05 PM
not sure but you do not need to adjust the valves. they use hydraulic lifters. check to make sure header flange bolts arent broken.

if mobil 1 was the only thing you changed you could try a different oil. the shop that works on my bike absolutely swears on using anything BUT mobil 1. He says he sees a lot of problems with HD engines that use it. Im not sure if its true or not but with all the options out there it was enough to make me switch.

freak2180
06-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I had a rattle........It was the mounting bracket for the horn. It cracked and made a horible rattle at 3-3.5k rpm.

crxtasy169
06-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Yup check the horn mount bracket for sure. I broke 2 in 26,000 miles. Finally I made my own out of some thick aluminum and haven't had a problem since. My best friends also broke at 8k.

user_deleted
06-11-2012, 10:11 PM
what crxtasy169 said as well as may be active exhaust valve rattling as they tend to do when you get a few miles on them. you have a 12 so it has exhaust power valve. you're not alone as many yamaha R1's have rattling valve as well. doesn't hurt anything but just annoying.

user_deleted
06-11-2012, 10:12 PM
The valves auto-adjust themselves.
the beauty of buells. hydraulic lifters with no adjustment requirement for the valves.

black05cityx
09-05-2013, 09:23 PM
It least your front isolator is not blown like my bike. That was a never ending cattle guard like riding feel. [up]

Zeroflat24
09-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Mine has a rattle also. Sounds like a beer can stuck inside the throttle body. Only happens when the bike is hot and i have been riding it for a while. I quit trying to find out what it is.

LocoLobo
09-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Mine had a rattle, turned out to be the exhaust bracket that mounts the header to the cylinder. Something happened and loosened up and then the exhaust studs broke upon trying to remove them. Maybe it's the same for you? It's simple to check.

rrbuell
09-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Check your kickstand also. Found my rattling to be that. Bolts get loose under vibration. Horn also.

mipstien
09-06-2013, 03:46 PM
i had a rattle and it was the belly pan. the rivets weren't doing what they where supposed to do and the plastic was so loud but wasn't obvious when stopped because the plastic was still held in place. as soon as i hit mid range i thought the whole bike was falling apart.
also had a problem with my exhaust cracking and it rattled pretty bad for about 200 miles until i found it and had it welded back together.