PDA

View Full Version : Odometer/Trip meter/clock weirdness

LabRat
06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Hey all,
I have a new to me 06 Uly that has 30,000 miles on it. Fine machine but the clock doesn't hold the time and the trip meters reset themselves. Not so good when one is trying to keep track of miles since the last fillup. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lab Rat

BitchinXb
06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
it might be your battery going. I had a crappy battery, and my clock would always reset everytime I started it. Got a new battery and it's resolved

oh9bolt
06-12-2012, 10:50 PM
And/ or loose connection.

Rays
06-13-2012, 05:03 PM
If the battery and battery connections are OK then the problem might be with a splice located in the loom where it passes through the loom guide mounted on the steering head.
The '06's had quite a few reports of breaks with the splice where the instrument 'back-up' power is connected. This is a direct connect to the battery and maintains the tripmeter and clock settings with the ignition off.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5820_20110714223849_L.jpg

This is a shot of a temporary repair I did to my '06 several years ago - this splice is held together with a glue-filled heat-shrink set-up that can hold the wire in place while the end is actually broken so can be tricky to locate.

If you have this particular gremlin it can sometimes be seen by sweeping the handlebars lock to lock with the ignition off. If the instrument panel loses power and then makes contact again the instrument needles will do a start-up 'sweep'.

neddz
04-18-2014, 09:10 AM
had exactly the same problem with my "07",,clock and trip meter resetting itself,,found the culprit..the splice joint is lousy and in exactly the wrong place for a joint of this kind,i went right back to the frame(above the airscoop) cut the wire(live battery feed),,relocated the joint right up to the back of the speedo frame and resoldered the 3 wires to the live battery feed,,no problems since the mod,i also did the brown and purple wires the same way(dont know what they do but i could see a problem arising at some point,hope this helps someone

stevengeorgia
06-10-2014, 03:27 AM
I too Have experienced some of the recurring problems with that! I'm going to do the fix(es) mentioned, Also clean/dilectricize the connection, And paint on some "liquid electrical tape" on all connectors to keep everything in/out! That stuff's good, It comes off easy, But isolates the connection...:D (p.s. Mine's a 2008, So maybe the looms were weak on those also?http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/16544_20140509190656_L.jpg