PDA

View Full Version : Effin sidestand bolt doing my nut in!

Oldgit
06-13-2012, 06:06 PM
As you know, it stripped. Been drilling it out for bloody ages (days) trying to get a bead to remove it. Just not getting anywhere with it. Tried using a smaller diameter removal tool to key, no good. I've ended up going in at an angle and stripping some of the block wall. I guess even if I could get that sodding bolt out I could heli it or something, or even retap, ANYTHING.

So.. what are my options now? Do I somehow find another lower block for my year and model in the UK? (lol as if I can get parts in this country) Do I buy a new block from HD? (mortgaging my soul for the costs) Do I just give up and break the damned bike and give up? Even if I get a block I'm not skilled enough to strip and rebuild the engine.

Man this is doing my head in... 1 bolt can write off a perfectly good bike.

snrusnak
06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Hang in there, be patient, and you'll get it!

Sorry to hear of your frustration!

cgo
06-14-2012, 02:18 AM
If u haven't already tried get a carbide drill bit and drill a hole in the bolt to fit an easy-out tool.

Oldgit
06-14-2012, 07:18 AM
Gonna phone a reputable garage today and see if they can help. I might have a look for a carbide drill bit as well, thanks cgo. I just want the bastard thing fixed and on the road :(

user_deleted
06-14-2012, 10:54 AM
hey old guy(LOL): if you just can't get it or do ruin your assembly, go online to buellster or evilbay and buy an entire used assembly. have it shipped to me and i'll send it over to you. we ship parts to the UK everyday so not a problem to do this for you if it helps out. regards, john
pm me if i can help.

snrusnak
06-14-2012, 11:43 AM
[up][up][up]

Oldgit
06-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Cheers John. I'll PM you if/when I get that far. I hope the local garage here can do some miracles. If I need to get the block replaced I guess I'm better off sending you the cash to buy a block in the States to save in the shipping from/to the States of the new block. I hope it doesn't come to that though :)

user_deleted
06-14-2012, 01:32 PM
my pleasure. i've done it before for a few overseas board members. if you can't get it resolved and need to buy new or used i'm confident there's alot of complete sidestand components here in the states for sale. i do stock new sidestand updated pins and circlips. my email is: scootertrash196@yahoo.com
let me know if i can further help.

Oldgit
06-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Ah no you misunderstand me. There are 2 bolts that hold the sidestand in the lower engine block. One of those has snapped, leaving the body in the block. The sidestand is 100% OK.

I thought it was weird when you Americans refer to the sidestand pin as the "bolt" ;)