PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Ulysses Side Bags

06NHUlysses
10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi-
I'm new to this forum but, I was wondering if anybody has had this problem or might be able to help me out. The plastic latch broke on my side bag this morning. I tried to close the bag and a piece of the rubber trim bound up. It was a cold morning and the latch just snapped with very little force. My local dealer said that I can't just replace the latch, I have to buy a new $286 bag. Is there any other way? Does anybody out there have an accident damaged bag that I could salvage a latch from? Any other suggestions? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

FIDOSOL
10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
You can check Lowes/Home Depot, they might have an alternative you can use. You may be able to customize it for cheaper than buying a new one. Could you post a pic so we can see what you are talking about with the latch? Not everyone on here has those bags, or even a ulysses but you'd be suprised how innovative some people can be.

06NHUlysses
10-16-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll try to get a picture up tonight.

keghead
10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
If you have the Hepco/Becker (a.k.a. buell) hard bags, the latch is replaceable. I bought mine and the lock cam was broken on one when it showed up. Buell considered it a warranty issue and sent me out a whole new latch assembly, of which I swapped the cam lock from. So, check again with your dealer. I think they can get you the part alone.

Strada
01-10-2009, 09:03 PM
I always use an additional strap to hold the handles nice and tight - I use about 1m of strapping to loop round both handles.
I've heard of people breaking latches by swinging their leg off the bike and catching them.

WULFGODSXB
01-11-2009, 08:46 PM
You can also go right to hepco and becker website and get any part you want plus a variety of bags that will fit your mounts[up]