PDA

View Full Version : 1997 M2 Cyclone Unstable at High Speed

wesleyb82
06-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Hello buellxb forum members. This is my first post but I have read almost every post in this section and on other forums and have learned a lot.

I bought a *new* 1997 Buell Cyclone M2 about 6 weeks ago that had been sitting with several other Buells in the back of a Harley dealership for many years. After a carb clean and break-in the bike is running great but I’m having some high end stability problems.

The Problem: Beginning at 80mph and definitely at 90+mph (I know I’m at 90 w/o looking down) I get a unstable/light front end. This happens especially on the highway (Sunrise Highway on Long Island NY) which is put together in sections that leads to an extremely rough/bumpy ride that worsens this issue. On a flat road I can get around 100mph before it starts to feel sketchy.

I have checked: Air pressure (at 34/32) but I have found that the tires are losing pressure over time (airing up every couple weeks), I have adjusted the suspension and currently running slightly higher front rebound (1/8th clockwise) and slightly lower compression (#3) as per my best interpretation of the manual. This seems to have tightened things up but not solved the problem. I do not wear loose clothing, do not death grip the bars and have tried different riding positions and find leaning forward seems to help.

I have tried to observe the movement at these speeds and there isn’t much movement in the forks but they do wobble/shake a little. I get the feeling that I’m bouncing down the highway- its not planted/straight lined like all other motorcycles I’ve ever ridden and it’s an unsettling feeling.

My best uneducated guess is that the tires might have a flat spot or other problems from sitting so long.

Before I have the tires inspected/balanced or buy a new set I wanted to post and see if anyone had any suggestions for me.

GAXB9R
06-22-2012, 02:49 PM
We're the tires flat when you bought the bike. It doesn't cost much to have them balanced if you are going to keep them. If it was me I would just get new tires just because. Have you checked the wheel bearings. What kind of tires are on there now?

Headbarcode
06-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I would also suggest a fresh set of tires and bearings while your in there. Both have come a long way in 15 years. By the way, i'm the guy that came over for a look in the 7-11 greenport so when i get mine maybe we'll cross paths. Again, sweet bike man!

Jramsey
06-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Also be sure to check the preload on the steering head bearings,your bike should be rock steady all the way to its top speed.

Here's a pic I took earlier this morning coming home from the Buell gathering in Arkansas on my S3T,taken hands free just South of Joplin Mo.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2003/slabbinghwy71.jpg

Jramsey
06-24-2012, 05:38 PM
BTW, that picture was taken on a privately owned strip of roadway.

BuellyBagger
06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
/\sure it was;)

i would switch out tires.

BuellyBagger
06-24-2012, 09:50 PM
my cyclone was more stable @ speed than my ulysses. Neve afraid of over 100 on the cyclone, so im sure its something related to sitting aound all those years.

williegoat
06-24-2012, 10:03 PM
i would switch out tires.
Absolutely! If those tires are anywhere near as old as the bike, they could be dangerous.

Extractor
08-02-2012, 09:29 PM
It's the tires for sure!!!! "BUT"I don't know where your talking about, I have a house in Massapequa and I go east on Sunrise Hwy anywhere between 100 and 140mph. and the road is fine. What no one is telling you is that the Tubers where 'Never good at high speeds" EVER!!![smirk]

wack01
08-08-2012, 04:09 AM
I had the same problem changing the tires is a temporary fix. Tighten or replace the stem bearings. Bearings are cheaper than tires.
If the bearings are bad it will ruin your front tire quick.