PDA

View Full Version : Surging, chugging & flashing engine light.

07Bolt_SOvitt
06-22-2012, 06:08 PM
I have a 2007 XB12R, 9,500 miles, Jardine RT-1, breather re-route, K&N filter & newly installed EBR tuned ECM.

About 2 weeks ago I installed a new EBR ECM tuned for a Jardine RT-1. Installed it, rode about 700 miles with no problems.

Then this morning I was cruising along at about 50mph & my engine light came on, all the gauges went to zero. So I started to slow down to stop, and the light went off. Got her going again & now there is a LOT of decel popping, and the bike is chugging & surging at all gears & all speeds.

Anyone with experience or tips I'd REALLY appreciate the help. I've never had any issues like this with the bike before.

user_deleted
06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
did anyone get back to you on this? i'd work the problem backwards. if your bike ran well with stock ECM and you switched to the EBR and now have this problem, i would tend to think it is in the ECM. have you contacted EBR to get their thoughts on it? replacement? just curious

07Bolt_SOvitt
06-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Nope, nobody with much help yet. But that was my thoughts too, I plan on switching out the ECMs this afternoon to check & see if it helps. Only thing that worries me is that the bike ran well for 700 miles between the time I installed the EBR ECM & now.

07Bolt_SOvitt
06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Switched out ECMs....if anything it ran worse. Not really sure what to do at this point. Checking all the wires plugs & grounds but everything seems fine.

djohnk
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
What codes did it show?

Rhino1
06-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Jump the pins and see what code it gives you.

Check this link out for which pins to jump:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/146574.html

user_deleted
06-23-2012, 12:25 AM
07bolt: these bikes run very rich when cold and i'm sure the EBR race ECM is rich across the fuel maps. do you have fouled plugs per chance? they'll give you fits if so. only takes an hour or so to change and if so, go with NGK iridium tips.

07Bolt_SOvitt
06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the link. What does the diagnostic test plug look like? Pulled my seat off & can't see anything resembling an "empty pin connector". Maybe I'm just blind haha.

07Bolt_SOvitt
06-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Found it. Under the faring, BadWeather link was talking about an S not an R.

lunatic fringe: Spark plugs were my next bet following the diagnostic test, that would hopefully be a pretty easy fix.

07Bolt_SOvitt
06-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Update on the situation:

I installed some new NGK spark plugs, thank you lunatic fringe. Also drained the gas, and added some stabil & dry gas just incase it had any water in the tank/fuel lines.

Bike is running 100x better now! Thanks to everyone who offered tips or help.

BuellyBagger
06-26-2012, 11:22 PM
surprised it threw a light for fouled plugs, but glad to hear its running better.

johnon
06-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Hey i appologize ahead if time for ruining your thread, but i dont know how to start a new thread, and i also had an electrical problem. Hears my question, i have an 03 bolt , which has a loose wire in the fuse box, i was wondering if there is any way to repair that or if i need a new fuse box, If i need a new fuse box, where can i get one? thanks and sorry again for barging in on your thread

07Bolt_SOvitt
06-26-2012, 11:52 PM
BuellyBagger: I was also surprised, but after asking around my family, who includes a few mechanics, everyone thought i may have gotten some bad gas, which is why i added in some stabil & dry gas.

Mark XB12r
06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Hey i appologize ahead if time for ruining your thread, but i dont know how to start a new thread, and i also had an electrical problem. Hears my question, i have an 03 bolt , which has a loose wire in the fuse box, i was wondering if there is any way to repair that or if i need a new fuse box, If i need a new fuse box, where can i get one? thanks and sorry again for barging in on your thread

This is purely without seeing how bad anything is dammaged, but Yes; all those wires and connectors are repairable... no problems at all once you get the hang of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ywTV5b6lHY

Here is a general video showing and talking about some needed tools and techniques. Once the bad connector is out you will need to repair the wire with a new connector and reassemble. Give it a shot, just know when your over your head and stop before you brake it worse.

Anyway the bottom line, no need for a new one; you should be able to repair it, Mark

buellxb9rs
06-27-2012, 02:21 PM
It was bad grounds that caused this on my bike, also the o2 sensor

readysetgo
06-27-2012, 08:52 PM
A bad negative wire on my battery caused those systems for me.

johnon
06-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks to you all i get home from work tomorrow and willtry and repair it.

readysetgo
06-29-2012, 04:30 PM
lol...wow long day at work yesterday..meant to say the negative battery cable on my battery came loose because I had a battery tender quick connect on it and it would come loose and kill the engine and flash the check engine light.

good luck.

07Bolt_SOvitt
07-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Hey guys. Problem with misfiring, chugging & surging started up again today. This time the bike is throwing error codes for the front and rear fuel injectors.

Does anyone know how complicated and expensive it is going to be to replace these? And where i could buy replacement injectors?

EmptyChambers
07-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Pretty sure they are Ford parts of some sort. I'll double check and get back to you.

* Siemens FI114962 or 107-962 ( 107962 )
* Mototron INJ-GAS-002 ( S107)
* Accel 74620S
* MSD / Edge 2030

07Bolt_SOvitt
07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help! Any idea how complicated it is to install new ones? I'm assuming I'll have to bring it to a mechanic.

EmptyChambers
07-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Whoops, those look like high output injectors. Regardless, you just have to find comparable ones that flow similar to stock. Shouldn't be too hard with the part numbers.