PDA

View Full Version : WHICH EXHAUST???

HOVERJOCKI
04-24-2007, 03:45 AM
Hello Peoples.
Firstly, I'm new to this site and I'm new to Buells. Purchased a Buell XB12S and still new to the machine. Curious to see what the rest of you who have upgraded to different pipes could tell me and what you think between Jardine, Micron & Drummer slip-ons?
I have checked out the comparison check done on the American Sport Bike site and although its pretty in-depth i would like to hear from you who have done the changes.
I'm not really mechanically orientated, in my job i start the machines and point them in the right direction, so this will be a learning experience for me as well.
Also, is it just straight forward to slip on a new pipe or do you have to make mods to the engine as well?
Look forward to hearing advice.
Thanks in advance.
Hoverjocki

mrdozer2you
04-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I just sent some pics in of my Jardine on my 06' Buell XB 12ss. The admin should be posting them soon under the topic "exhausting decision". It looks awesome and sounds great. ( my neighbors are complaining already:D ) I didn't do anything else except added a servo emulator, which replaces the servo that you have to cut off when you go to an aftermarket exhaust. Some people are telling me to get a race ecm with the proper fuel maps for my setup, but from what I've been told the stock ecm will re-program itself for the new pipe. And it has. It ran like crap for the first few miles, but is running like a champ now[up]. Everyone has their own opinion on what mods are the best so check around on the forums. This is by far the best site I've found for info on Buells, the people here are great, and very knowledgeable, and will answer any question that you ask.

And welcome to the forums!!

NOMORE4s4ME
04-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey dozer. I've decided to go with the Jardine XB12s. I should have it in a week or so. Was the switch easy to do on your ss? Does it come with the servo emulator? When I called Jardine they we're vague about how many miles before repacking. Did they tell you anything more specific?

mrdozer2you
04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Had to get the servo emulator separate, around $50.00 if I remember right. They were vague with me as well as to how often it needs repacking, I've heard anywhere between 3k and 5k miles. I guess it depends on your riding style.
As far as installing it well....first thing I did was look at the instructions they sent, smiled, then threw them away [smirk]. It was telling me to remove the belt tension pulley and oil lines and a bunch of other BS. The hardest part was removing the factory pipe. You will need some socket extensions, and a small metric bit, I cant remember the size:( ( talk about vague but you will see what I mean lol ) The funniest thing I thought was the fact that they wanted you to disconnect the oil line, the only reason I saw for it was to take off the 2 rear screw clamps on the back of the pipe. Just unscrew them all the way till they come apart and slide them around the line, DOH!!! This is taking too long....mail me if you run into problems:D and should have some pics up soon.

HOVERJOCKI
04-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the replys.
Firstly, what is repacking and why would it have to be done??
What is the servo emulator and what does it do, as you can see i'm learning this as a newbie, i'm used to just sitting on the bikes and riding and not worrying about this stuff.
Thanks for the additional help.

mrdozer2you
04-26-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok, in your factory exhaust there is a butterfly valve that opens and closes via an electronic servo control. When you use an aftermarket exhaust the valve and controls are no longer used. An emulator fools the ecm into thinking its still connected, basically to keep your engine light from coming on.

As far as repacking i've heard different things, and am not sure what exactly will happen if you dont repack it. Some people say your exhaust will just get louder. Others say that the fiberglass packing can come loose over time and sort of break off and clog inside your pipe. Possibly creating a back pressure issue. The pipe should be ok for at least 3k-5k miles i've been told. So for now i'm riding and listening for it to get louder which it has a bit. If one day i'm riding and it sounds loads quieter, well....i'll be checking the pipe for a blockage I guess:p

NOMORE4s4ME
04-26-2007, 03:44 PM
I heard that if the can is not repacked when it should be, the shell strength is compromised because of the heat and rivits will start to come loose. I dont know how valid that is. I'm a newbie as well when it comes to tinkering with these bikes. My yosh pipe on my R6 just slipped on and I forgot about it. I never heard anything about repacking. Anyway...all the people on this site are great for all kinds of questions. I'm curious what states everyone lives in though. The only reason is I never see anyone with Buells in MD. Thats part of the reason I chose to get one in the first place. When I rode my R6...three people I rode with had one.

OLD GUY
04-26-2007, 07:51 PM
WHERE CAN YOU GET A SERVO EMULATER?

mrdozer2you
04-27-2007, 01:00 PM
From www.americansportbike.com think it was about $48.00 I saw it once on the site but couldn't find it again, I know they have it you may have to call and ask.

njsxb9
04-29-2007, 11:45 PM
This is the best site I have found. They did a shootout on every exhaust. Download the file and it has data sheets with sounds clips for every exhaust

americansportbike.com

chadxb12r
05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
im going with the drummer ,i should have it in and on at on by monday , ill let you know how i like it!

HOVERJOCKI
05-02-2007, 03:25 AM
How long was the turn around from when you sent it in and to getting it back.
Was the pipe easy to get off or not?

chadxb12r
05-02-2007, 01:56 PM
well turn around for me is going to be a little over a week because when i sent it kevin was in the middle of moving his shop. as far as the removal , it was fairly simple , kevin has instructions on his sight kdfab.com .

HOVERJOCKI
05-03-2007, 06:06 PM
For those using the Drummer pipes, apart from cost and look is there a preference out there between the stock modification or buying the SS/CF version???

mrdozer2you
05-04-2007, 03:10 PM
The stock mod that Kevin does is just for more noise. If you want performance you will need to get the Drummer SS.

HOVERJOCKI
05-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Heres a question....... What actually goes in to making an exhaust? Reason i ask is i just remembered an exhaust i saw on a car years ago called a cherry bomb ( sounded Great). Basically looked like a slip-on pipe just like what you have for bikes. Now i looked at their website and they still make them... called GLASSPACK
http://www.cherrybomb.com/glasspacks-front.html.

WHAT IF it was possible with slight mod to fit the 2 in 1 pipe at the bottom, slip one of these on. Would the ECM accept it just like a regular slip-on or would it screw up the engine.

HOVERJOCKI
05-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Just tried to hit that link i posted and it wouldn't work...sorry about that. Just type cherrybomb.com, click on products then glasspack.

mrdozer2you
05-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Probably would work. On sporttwin.com a guy made his own pipe out of 2 ten inch glasspacks. It took some fab work on his end but I guess it works. He posted videos on youtube of it.

HOVERJOCKI
05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
To CHADXB12R.
SO how has that drummer worked out for you? I'm looking to going the same direction. If you have put it on yet; apart from installing it, what else did you have to do or add to the bike to make sure it all worked out? Just wanted to get as much information before i jump in..cheers mate

chadxb12r
05-09-2007, 01:39 AM
just got the dummer in today , installation was a snap !!! when i started it up the hair on my arm stood up it sounded awsome !! i did not have to make any other changes just put the exhaust on and go . i ran it for about 10 minutes it is running fine . kevin told me to run it at around 3000 to 3500 rpms for the first couple of runs to give the ecm time to adjust. im gonna run it for about 20 to 30 minutes tomorrow and let u know how it goes!!
P.S. THE FINISH PRODUCT LOOKS GREAT

BadS1
05-09-2007, 12:04 PM
The stock modded Drummer is just for noise ???

Sorry but that is totally inaccurate. It perform's very well and damn close if not the same as the SS or CF. The internal's are the same. I've owned both and presently the SS.

mrdozer2you
05-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Ok, why dont you call Kevin at KD Fab and ask. Thats what he told me...unless he's lying!! (about his own products)

BadS1
05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't need call Kevin I know him and I can also tell you my bike was the second XB12S fitted with a Drummer. Now.... what you did is misunderstood Kevin entirely. The Drummer that is just noise is the Econo Drummer. Any of the other Drummers are internally the same. Thev SS is more because he has to form a body for the internal's and its SS. With the stock one some serious work is already done for him because the body of the muffler is already there. So you might want to call him again. Trust me anyone using a stock modded Drummer other then a Econo is performing just as well as the SS and Kevin will tell you that.

mrdozer2you
05-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Ahhh, thought that the Econo Drummer was the one he was asking about. I thought all he offered was the Econo, SS, and SS carbon fiber. The Econo being the one that is just for noise. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

chadxb12r
05-10-2007, 04:44 AM
back from the run , and everything went smooth , the noise was awsome , turned alot of heads !! the performance was right on good strong pull from bottom to top ! the only thing i think i would like to do now is get the 07 airbox . do yall think it will make a noticeable difference??

BadS1
05-10-2007, 05:12 PM
No it won't because the cone area around the throttle body area is the same. The only difference is yours I'm a assuming you have a 04-05 and they breathe through the frame not the top. You can mod your own box to match the sides of the 07.

BuellPastor
07-17-2007, 02:23 AM
There is no more econo drummer offered. I have an 06 XB12S. I was thinking about Jardine (not mechanical and worried about packing, but love the look), Drummer, and OPS. Is it correct to say that I could use the factory ECM with all 3? Would it reset itself in each case? What about airbox? I mainly want more sound. The power on stock is good enough for me.
Thanks!

mrdozer2you
07-17-2007, 01:12 PM
If you just change the pipe the stock ecm will work on all 3 no problem. If you change the air box I would definitely get a new ecm or re-flash your stocker. More air flow in and out of the bike can cause it to run lean, but just changing the pipe should be no problem [up][up].

I changed my pipe and left everything else and its just fine. The ECM will sort of "re-program" itself for the conditions you are riding in. Although in Michigan here the weather and temps are always changing. One day I ride and its 90 with high humidity, the next day its 75 with moderate humidity. My bike always takes a little time to adjust to the conditions every time I ride. I guess its still better than having to adjust a carb constantly :)

BuellPastor
07-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Dozer - thanks. If I was to change the airbox, how difficult/expensive is it to re-flash the stocker? I have seen that there are programs one can buy to do this, but I have no idea what that would entail. After months of using the pipe - are you happy with it?[up]

LeFox
07-17-2007, 04:10 PM
how difficult/expensive is it to re-flash the stocker? I have seen that there are programs one can buy to do this, but I have no idea what that would entail.
can't do a decent job without a dyno run(s)

depending on what exhaust you chose, you can go for a race-ecm.
ok, a remapped ecm is better but for some the difference is really minor and not worth the extra $$$.

BuellPastor
07-18-2007, 04:20 PM
How expensive is it to remap?

LeFox
07-18-2007, 09:00 PM
don't know...never paid for it :p

but you were looking for the jardine, no? jardine is one of the exhaust that runs good on the race ecm. ;)

BuellPastor
07-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Yes. I am very seriously considering Jardine, Drummer, and Spec Ops. I like the look of the Jardine. I also like that I can use it as is or soften the sound a bit if it is too loud. I am concerned about repacking as I have no idea how difficult that would be - and it is likely I would have to do it 2x per year or more.

So, If I get the Jardine and the Race ECM what else would I need to do?
If I get the Drummer, what else do I need to do?
If I get the Spec OPS what else?
How much $$ in each case? Does anyone know?
Thanks in advance!!

LeFox
07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
1st for best result, you should get another air intake filter (k&n), so you can get a better mixture and better results for your engine.

best buy is the jardine.
ecm - airbox - exhaust

drummer works best with a remap
remap - airbox - exhaust

spec-op don't have that much experience with it, it's not a common used exhaust here in europe. think anyway that drummer is better (atleast in results according to dyno charts)

BuellPastor
07-19-2007, 01:37 PM
LeFox - thanks! [up]:p

LeFox
07-20-2007, 01:49 AM
:D

BuellPastor
07-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Fox
Airbox - do you mean by that air intake filter or is that something else? K&N?
Thanks!

LeFox
07-30-2007, 10:42 AM
sorry for the late reply, did a motorweekend in normandie. hard to check the forums :p

yea, get a k&n filter, no matter what type. just get some decent airflow going in the engine.

pittsleyb
04-17-2009, 02:09 PM
what do you think about d & d ? Is it easy to install and is there a programming update required?

steve may
04-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Can someone clear this up for me. Do you need A servo emulator if you remap or have A race ECM?

RichMc_09XB12Ss
04-17-2009, 03:30 PM
From what I have been told, you will NOT need the servo emulator if you go with the Race ECM as it is designed for the race muffler which does not have the butterfly valve. For the remap of the stock ECM, there is an option to disable the check for the servo. If you change this option, you will not need the servo emulator. If you do not change that option, the engine light will still be on without the servo emulator.

Anyone please correct me if I have been told incorrectly.

Trill
04-17-2009, 03:39 PM
You are correct. I just switched to the race exhaust on my xb12. I opened ecmspy and unchecked the exhaust servo box and no more light :)

steve may
04-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks.

edipis
04-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Don't buy a servo emulator for $50. You can get a cable and ecmspy and disable the servo yourself. You can also reset your TPS and a bunch of other things as many times as you want. I have a few cables if anyone needs one. $50 shipping included. The program is free from www.ecmspy.com.

Let me know if anyone needs a cable.
chadlikness@gmail.com

FIDOSOL
04-17-2009, 06:17 PM
hey edipis, is your name a reference to Oedipus from greek mythology?

Also, has anyone heard from gbalias lately? He has made a few exhausts and was working with xopti on a custom map.

pittsleyb
04-20-2009, 02:21 PM
ordered the d&d today :)

Shane
06-29-2011, 02:45 PM
stock exhaust for a 2009-2010 lightning i WILL BUY!!!$$$!!!

nitto12ss
06-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Last post prior to yours was June of 09. My guess is the exhaust is long gone.