PDA

View Full Version : Uly hammering sound from 2500 rpm

Petrus
06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2006 Buell Ulisses and I'm not sure if this sound has been there all the time and I just did not notice, but from 2500rpm its starting to sound like a fast hammering sound. little like a small hammer on metal, this is under load.
When I'm standing next to the bike and I rev it I cannot hear it.
I know they make a lot of noise but this seems to be new.
I put 102octane petrol in and there are no issues with running it, just runs excellent so I will continue to ride it. Just curious about any input.

tks

BitchinXb
06-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Mine has done the exact same thing since i got it with 3600 miles and now have 14xxx and its still running strong. I cant figure it out, only thing I can think it is, is noisy pushrods and the nature of the beast

BonnieStanley
06-29-2012, 04:01 PM
It happens to me when i let the clutch out to quickly and bog the engine at low rpm. I think its the sound of the connecting rod journals coming in to contact with the wrist pin or crankshaft. In my case it comes from rider error but it definitely isnt a good thing. I wouldnt use 102 octane though. The service manual doesnt recommend it and if the engine isnt tuned to need higher octane fuel using it is a waste.

Petrus
06-29-2012, 04:08 PM
It is not at low rpm, it starts at 2500 rpm and higher.
It does not sound if something is wrong but more that I never noticed it before and now that I heard it...
On the higher octane, I see no problem there, I notice that it runs much smoother then with regular 95.[up]

Petrus
06-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Just realizing that with the last oilchange a different brand of oil was put in. Putoline 20/50, a semi synthetic..[confused]
Before I believe, a HD oil was used. Never had any issues with that one.

FORMULA V-TWIN 20W50

Description

Putoline Formula V-Twin four-stroke engine oil is formulated to meet the ever-increasing demands of modern and classic V twin four-stroke engines. Its unique semi-synthetic formula exceeds the requirements of leading bike manufacturers and will provide complete engine protection under normal operating conditions

Petrus
07-24-2012, 04:21 AM
So, found where the sound came from. It was the luggage rack. The piece that should be connected to the passenger footpeg, was not bolted down yet because of the holes not lining up. Due to the vibration it was hammering against the footpeg and that was transferring the sound via the frame.

okey
07-24-2012, 08:26 AM
glad you found it and it sounds like an easy fix. Can't keep a good Uly down :)

Petrus
07-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Yep, fixed it today and the sound is definetly gone.:D