PDA

View Full Version : Running choppy, backfire, loss of power

nelsonj1998
06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
'06 XB12X is running choppy. I've replaced plugs and wires but problem is only getting worse. I've checked the resistances on the coil and it seems to be fine. I've also upgraded to a K&N filter. It is showing Trouble Codes 14, 15, and 21.

Some days it'll run smoother for a while, but never back to 100% of the power that it had when I got it. Sometimes while riding, I'll get a quick burst of full power that cuts right back out. It doesn't gradually curve into the burst, but just snaps right into it and almost pops the front tire up. Other times, it will bog down when I try to accelerate. I'll get about half a second of normal acceleration, then it bogs down. The only way to continue to accelerate is to let off the throttle and twist it again in quick bursts.

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Petrus
06-29-2012, 03:04 PM
This could be part of the problem:

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Ulysses-XB12x/Troubleshooting/Intake-leak.

Also, check if your ECM is not cracked at the connections.

Check al the ground points.

Hope this helps a little..:p

jimijeans
07-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Check the connector under the seat of the bike on your ECM. Check the ECM itself very closely for any cracks and so on. Have you ever Reset the TPS on the bike? The Throttle Position sensor sometimes will cause the problem also. Start with the small things first.A good idling Engine. Check the Battery Terminals also to make sure they are snug.
You also have a Ignition module on the side of the right Timing side cover. Most likely not the problem. Your Idle is right at 1000/1050 RPMs when idling properly. Check out the Mods section of the forum also to get some extra info on your bike.
Daves DIY videos all in one thead helps with some items also.Small things first.Hope it is an easy fix.post up if needed *Jimi