PDA

View Full Version : Cam gears installation

jgcable
07-02-2012, 07:12 PM
I have my 2003 XB9R motor almost done. Do I need to have the flywheel in any specific position when lining up the cam gears marks? The engine was a complete tear down. I installed the new tranny, the flyheel and piston rods, I sealed up the case and I am now in the process of installing the cam gears. The service manual doesn't state if I have to have the flywheel in any specific orientation. It just says to line up the marks on all the gears.

EricZ
07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
The cam gear on the crankshaft has a timing mark on it that lines up with a timing mark on the front intake cam. Your crank can only be in one orientation for that to line up.

jgcable
07-02-2012, 08:17 PM
That makes sense. There is a nut on the end of the crankshaft gear that partially covers the crankshaft gear. I never removed it. I bet the timing mark is underneath it. I wonder if I look close if I could see the mark? It also looks like the teeth on that gear have a white paint mark on them. It looks like the factory marked 3 teeth in a row. I bet the middle tooth is the mark.

Iamarchangel
07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Pinion gears go on first. Marks are on them. All the rest line up to those marks. Follow the diagram in the manual.

jgcable
07-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I did line everything up. The problem is I can't see the mark on the gear on the flywheel because the flywheel nut was never removed. I guess I will need to remove it!

Iamarchangel
07-03-2012, 03:01 AM
No, don't remove it. Look closer. You're looking for a line down one of the teeth. Look at drawing 3-124.

jgcable
07-03-2012, 04:09 AM
I see the line. Thanks! JG