PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Strips

NOMORE4s4ME
04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Ok. I've had my Buell XB12s for about 3 weeks now. I've really only had the opportunity to ride it a handful of times. I've leaned the thing all the way over (well...pretty far at least) and still cant rid my front tire of the last inch of unscrubbed rubber. The back tire has been leaned all the way to the edge. My last bike was an R6 and I had both tires scrubbed in fully. Is this just a characteristic of Buells? Possibly because of their extreme wheel base? Anybody else notice that...or am I just not the Rossifumi I think I am while on my bike?

mezap
04-30-2007, 01:30 AM
lol...dude, I'm just tryin to get rid of the last quarter inch on my rear tire! Have you been riding a long time? I've got 3 years in, the first year or two was on a cruiser, the last was on an interceptor, but I have trouble committing to that last little bit. I guess I'm just not aggressive enough. Any pointers?

maybebuell
04-30-2007, 02:05 AM
mezap your smart...no point at all leaning a bike that far in the street..makes no sence to me..nothing good can come out of it only bad...chickenlips should go to the track to scrub his rubber or itch his rubber..or watch to see how the big boys on the buells do it

NOMORE4s4ME
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Funny guy this maybe... I had my R6 in the track with the "big boys" many times before. Just havent had the time with the buell as of yet. And Mezap...you dont need to risk life an limb to lean your bike over that far. In general the corners where you would lean the bike over that far are pretty slow. Where I live there is a series of 10 to 12 turns back to back to back where you can see all of them at once, and there are no driveways or other roads to intersect. Find someplace relatively secluded where you can be comfortable and never ride over your limits and you will slowly creep toward the edge of your tires. Go as far as you want to then stop. And ride how you want...not how someone else thinks it should be done. Good luck.

cmiller1
05-01-2007, 05:13 AM
same with me nomore... seems as though the front tire doesnt get that angle. the back is wearing clean to the edges but the front lags a bit. not just u... call me obsessive compulsive but i admire and enjoy looking at the scrub line. tis the little things that make me smile.

mezap
05-03-2007, 02:12 AM
wow...
went to the twisties yesterday and got some good time in! I am now running right along the edge on the left side and have between an eighth and a quarter on the right. And you are right, nomore, didn't go too terribly fast to get it either. That little XB, she just grunts around those curves like she belongs there. Sooo much more fun than my interceptor was. No wonder buell says "own the corners!"
I think its sad to have a tire with like 3/8 of an inch of tread on the edges and cords showing in the center. I guess I must just be cheap!! LOL
but I gotta admit, I HAD A FREAKIN BLAST!!!:D

NOMORE4s4ME
05-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Good...but change that tire soon. If cords are showing its already too late. Glad to hear you are getting it leaned over. A little tip I used for buying tires when I had my R6. I would go to the first race I could around where I live with my brother and look for someone slow (or at least slower than others on the track)on an R6. After the race I would go to his pit and buy his tires, if they were in pretty good condition, for about $40. They were crazy sticky and would last about a summer. Make sure you get the ones legal for the street. Slicks are no good if you get stuck in a shower. Good luck, and be safe

angel
09-21-2007, 09:38 PM
The Dunlop 280's and the Qualifiers are good tires but they take a long time to heat up.So they slide and don't inspire confidence even when they're warm.Switch to the Pirrellis. They're sticky from the get go Angel

HOVERJOCKI
09-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I have been trying to get my bike over as far as possible but with the Dunlop Sprtmax 208s that came with my bike i'm finding harder each time to commit to the lean as the back end slides out even after running for at least 30 miles or more...that confidence goes straight out of the window.