PDA

View Full Version : thinking of having my bike painted like this.

rndrkeagle
10-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Looking for opinions on this paint scheme. I'm considering having this done on my '04 bolt..
only difference is that mine is the graphite colored frame not the silver.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2168_20081022064930_L.jpg

Thaloc
10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Maybe if the windscreen and buell emblem were orange it would look better, but as is im not too fond of it.

rndrkeagle
10-22-2008, 03:52 PM
yeah... the emblem would be orange... just didn't take the time to clean it up in photoshop... the screen I have is the amber one (my bike is the '04 red color)... I'm also thinking I'm probably going to have the chin fairing done in the blue color not the orange. Since the wheels around going to be powdercoated, having the chin fairing painted to match will more than double my total painting costs (mixing two colors instead of one and doing a color match on one of them).

oh.. and by the way... just to be clear.. I am neither a Chicago Bears fan nor a Detroit Tigers fan.. I just happen to like the colors and think they make a nice compliment to each other on the bike.

buell007
10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
nice make it yours[up]

Somthngfrce
10-22-2008, 03:56 PM
That's short of SICK.......[up][up]

Stevenc150
10-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Looks good to me. Might paint the "recessed" grey part around the headlights orange if you wanted....just a thought.

joshs74nova
10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
I bet gatorbuell would be jealous

sinpieces
10-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't do it. The rims will have oil smear/stains and road crap, discolorations... (since the color option is so bright.)
You'll have to wash them often and i think, in time, the paint will fade.
Why not polished rim sides and some nice paint job? Or better, rims are alu, i would have them anodised in blue or black or red. That would be nice, kind of metalic. You could get a diamond polished rear pulley also, that matches the front brake rotor - very nice and it also looks good on the fork legs. Then you could pick up clutch and brake handles in a same matching color.
It's a start.

GatorBuell
10-22-2008, 11:41 PM
You sir, are after my hart :D, If you like it go for it. The only opinion that matters is your own. Just remember its only metal and plastic and can always be changed.

rndrkeagle
10-23-2008, 01:19 PM
speaking of the rims... has anyone else had problems with the factory powder coat chipping off their rims? I bought my bike used and it has a couple of major (fist sized) areas along the flat sections between the spokes where the powder coat has chipped out... is this normal for powder coated wheels? I was planning on having them redone... but don't want to waste the money if it's just going to chip off again... I thought Powder coating was supposed to be pretty durable?

FIDOSOL
10-23-2008, 03:01 PM
hmm, maybe a darker orange, and have you tried incorporating the frame into the color scheme? Blue or Orange?

rndrkeagle
10-23-2008, 03:36 PM
have you tried incorporating the frame into the color scheme? Blue or Orange?

At this point.. (with my limited Budget) having the frame painted would be cost prohibitive. I can yank off all of the plastics in about 45 mins and take them in to get painted for around a couple hundred ($US)... getting the frame painted would require a lot more effort (basically have to strip the entire bike... or at least everything that's attached directly to the frame) and a lot more prep work on the surfaces. I may at some point in the future consider getting the frame painted.. or I may consider stripping it and polishing the aluminum underneath (I can do that myself but it'll require completely tearing the bike down to a bare frame) As it is I am going to take all of the plain aluminum pieces (levers, heel guards, pegs and pedals, etc) and polish/wax them to a mirror shine... that's something I can do myself and won't cost anything. I'm also starting to drift away from the above paint scheme since I saw that a color scheme that is almost exactly like it was offered factory in '05-'06... part of my goal here is to make the bike unique in some way...

as Buell007 said.. to make it my own

anyone know if a blue/yellow scheme has ever been done on the firebolts?http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2168_20081023083537_L.jpg

FIDOSOL
10-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Hmm, maybe a red/blue would suit you...

sinpieces
10-24-2008, 10:25 AM
I know i polishe my rims quite alot, due to oil and crap. I know that a bright color will crave more work to be kept nice looking. You could go for the goldish rims (same as mine). But, seriously, why not buy the red factory rims/wheels and do that color at the belly pan etc etc? I believe the orange color(not metalic) might fade when you use solvent cleaners to polish (and sunlight) in time, that is. I'm no expert though. I just say what i believe and notice.

rndrkeagle
10-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm starting to lean on the idea that Fidosol mentioned. Same color of blue on the body... and I'll have the wheels powder coated a metallic "Candy-Apple" Red. I'll also get the red gradient Memphis Shades windscreen to go with it.

my biggest concern on the wheels though isn't the fading.. it's the fact that the factory powder coat on my wheels has chipped out so much. Is the factory powder coating pretty crappy or did I just get a bad set? Or have they just been abused that much? most of the places around Austin, TX that do powder coating offer guarantees on their work. Usually anywhere from 5-10 years on a wheel like this. Just seems odd that these things are in such bad shape for a 4 year old bike.. ??

Hey Firechicken.... is that a locally done powdercoating on your wheels? you get any kind of guarantee on it? looks really good..

XBear9S
11-15-2008, 02:27 AM
I've noticed a lot of amber wheels with chipping.
Didn't really ever make such note of it till you just mentioned it.
But indeed, those Buell painted wheels do chip pretty easily.

All the reason to upgrade and customize though...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"The last to wheelie will see the first three wheelie before her. And her little dog too!"

--Wicked WitchBuelly of the Southwest