PDA

View Full Version : I have gremlins in the electrical

joegriff1996
10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
My 03 xb9s with 2500 miles on it has some demons in the wiring. I went out for a ride a week ago and every started to go wrong. I had a hard time starting it at first, I hit the starter 5 times and gave it some gas to finally stay at idle. On the same ride I started it twice no problem. The next day I got nothing when I hit the starter. No click, fuel pump, nothing. Check the battery 12.8v, all the cables retightened, and I cleaned them (emory cloth)just it case, and fuses. All good. I check the spark plugs and they were fouled up, and I changed them with the standard H-D. Still nothing, so it must be a sensor. Sure enough neutral sensor, and kickstand failure! I cut the kickstand twisted the wires to complete the circuit and replaced the neutral. Now it runs, but extemely rough. The whole bike vibrates like it never has before. What's going on? Sorry for the long winded post.[confused]

Trill
10-23-2008, 05:14 PM
did you change exhaust or airfilter?

joegriff1996
10-23-2008, 08:56 PM
No, not recently. I have Special OPS since last year.

Trill
10-23-2008, 09:09 PM
have you had the bike tuned since exhaust change?

If you are running stock ecm with aftermarket exhaust you are probably going to need to tune.

In order to help you more please explain your bikes setup in detail. Thanks

joegriff1996
10-24-2008, 02:59 AM
I've been told my Odie that his exhaust don't require any ecm resets. But today, I've gone back to my stock exhaust and the bike still shakes and vibrates. Maybe, I should have been more clear, I've been riding for over a year with just the Special OPS exhaust. Everything else stock. I only experienced the vibrations after I changed the neutral sensor, spark plugs, and cut the kickstand sensor. Thanks to all that trying to get me back on the road.

Trill
10-24-2008, 03:11 AM
check your oil and top up if needed. Hook up to ecmspy and reset your tps and idle.

Might want to check spark plug gaps too.

joegriff1996
10-26-2008, 04:02 AM
Trill, thanks for the advice. I'm sure the plugs were set correct at .9 mm and the oil looks good. I'll have to set up my ecmspy cable for the resets this week.

Trill
10-26-2008, 05:05 AM
tell us how it goes

joegriff1996
11-03-2008, 12:20 AM
So I finally set up my ecmspy cable. I was surprised by how easy and straight forward it was to use. After I reset the TPS and idle the vibration was noticeable less. Took it for a 50 mile ride, 40 on the highway, and 10 in the city. Everything was going well until the last 5 miles. The check oil light came on. I was about 1.5 miles from home so I just rode home to check it out. I unscrewed the plug and checked my oil levels and it was within range. So now what? Could I tripped a sensor with my ecmspy diagnostic/troubleshooting/reset?

What should I try next. By the way, it was freezing here 35 degrees.

BKKBuell
02-16-2010, 07:34 AM
??? Did you solfe your starting problems... I have sometime the same but did not figure out the reason. Sometime she wount start, the start relay does not click at all, then after a wile (just pushing the start button) she starts... Pls let me know

dodew69
02-16-2010, 08:29 AM
I have an 03 xb9s bought it used it has almost 17000 miles on it now . It has Jardine exhaust and a the race ecm in it thats whats stamped on it . The first year I had it I stared to have trouble starting it sometimes it would start sometimes iit would leave me stranded.
Come to find out the voltage regulator/rectifier wires rap down around the bottom of the motor . It was rubbing on the motor wore the casing out two strands of wire was all that was left . Dennis Kirk sells the same connectors so i rerouted the wire works good now.

brightbuell
02-16-2010, 08:47 PM
You can go one of those stupid bells to hang off your bike so it creats a raddle to anoy the gremlins off your bike.

Pft! Pa! Gigggdy! HA! ha! HAAA!:D