PDA

View Full Version : Possible alternator trouble?

AgentOrange
10-24-2008, 08:11 AM
So, I have been working on dirt bikes since I was a kid, but dont know too much about street bikes. I own a 2001 Buell Blast and recently the battery died on me.
I took the battery to the auto shop to see if the battery was just dead, but he put it on the tester and said the battery was drained, but it was still 100% operational.
So, that leaves me to wonder about the alternator. Since the key was never left in it to let the battery die, and there is no way for there to be a drain on the battery, the only thing I can think of is the alternator is done for.

Does this sound like an alternator problem. If so, does anyone know the cost of an alternator for a Buell Blast 01? I have changed the alternator on cars a few times myself, but I dont even know where it is on the bike.

ezblast
10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Do the regulator test - check the pins for current, key turned on motor off, there should be none. If there is replace regulator.
EZ

AgentOrange
10-24-2008, 11:35 PM
yeah, I knew it wasnt called an alternator. So, I put a Ohms tester on it, and it and the battery isnt being charged. So, it looks like it is probably the regulator

AgentOrange
10-25-2008, 12:30 AM
okay, so, is the regualtor the black square box found under the guard on the engine, on the right side of the bike if you are sitting on it?

There might have been moisture in there, which could be the reason it is no longer working. What are the chances it is the Stator as opposed to the regulator, or both?

ezblast
10-25-2008, 01:44 AM
If you didn't get current - then your next test would be current flowing into the battery with the motor on - should ne a minimum of 13.02 - if lower than that but steady - it would be the regulator - if below 12 then I would suspect the stator - a good number of hours of tear down then put back together, really straight forward and basic wrenching, just replacing a part - I had both go - they where like 8 years old, and I think one fried the other - partial bad ground created while fiddling around - I think made it worse - lol - I got it all fixed in the end - that bike had been ridden through torrential storms quiet a few times - I figured it was only a matter of time before the water and gear oil (don't use gearoil - has sulfer) did their job and those parts became toast - its all good now.

If it is your stator - then also do the following - take about an extra hour of time but worth it in the end for the extra benefits it bestows, and since your in there anyway type of thing: loosen your primary adjustment about 3 turns out, replace the detent plate and clip, do the shift pawl adjustment, measure your drum pins and any found longer than the rest shall have 1 drop of blue locktight spread around pin base, then gently tap pin back in to the height of the other pins - they should all be the same length. Chamfer the edges of the stator wire protection plate - for obvious reasons, then replace stator - no biggie and re-assemble, do inner clutch adjustment, oil to gear teeth, cover, put primary to where it was, lube cables, then do Clutch lever adjustment as needed. Your reward for the extra hours work is a transformed smooth shifting tranny that just clicks along - though the first shift in the morning is still stiff, the rest just start clicking. Its all pretty straight forward with all the tech points in the manual - guiding you along.
EZ