PDA

View Full Version : I've never put much faith in fuel additives...

Bordsnbikes
10-24-2008, 01:55 PM
This is hardly a mod but seemed like the most appropriate place to put this.

I was at Harley yesterday getting my Fiance a birthday present and was looking around, because I'm an addict, and found something that said it smoothes out your engine in cold weather and high humidity areas. So I thought to myself "Self, that's just where you are!" So I asked the guy at the counter, who I've had a long rapport with, about it and he said it actually works. So still a little skeptical I buy the stuff and head out to fuel up. It was easy to measure and add, it had a little squeeze thingy to fill/measure, then fueled up and rode off. It evened out a lot! I couldn't believe it, the stuffed worked great. It's called Winter Idle Boost and looks to have at least 10-15 uses and it cost me $5.95 I'm pretty stoked, I'll be using this stuff all winter.

Slick17
10-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Great find. i never knew that they made something like this. I'll have to go to Harley today and get some.

dave_xb12r
10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow I was JUST looking at that stuff yesterday! Good to hear that it works. I was hesitant because I thought I remember Lefox saying something about never using additives. I could be wrong though. Maybe he was talking about octane boosters.

squiers007
10-25-2008, 04:30 AM
Did you say this stuff was for high humidity areas as well as for the cold? That seems like a strange combination since its usually not humid in the winter, but maybe im just missing something. It is humid as hell down here in south texas so if this stuff would help it would be great.

Stevenc150
10-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Did you say this stuff was for high humidity areas as well as for the cold? That seems like a strange combination since its usually not humid in the winter, but maybe im just missing something.
Squiers has a good point. Humid means moist heavy air, winter is cold dry air. Unless it's basically just an octane booster. [confused]

1001yos
10-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Actually, as the temperature decreases, the relative humidity increases. The ammont of water the air can hold is proportional to the temperature. (higher temp = higer ammount of water the air holds) The R.H. is usually greater at night as the temperature drops, but the actual ammount of water in the air stays the same unless it precipitates out such as fog, rain, or snow.
The cold air just seems drier because there is less water in it although the relative humidity may even be at 100%

Sorry, just had to nerd it up a little.

Bordsnbikes
10-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Pretty much what I was gonna say...
But more like, yes it is more humid haha.

Thanks for the science lesson dude.

It's supposed to be very similar to Heet, but in a smaller bottle and measuable for our small tanks.

Thaloc
10-25-2008, 02:07 PM
This reminded me of something I wanted to share with you guys. I got this little bottle of platic cleaner and protectant called Plexis.They say it was originally made for airplanes. But anyhow, its the best, a couple little sprays and then buff it, and it leaves this coating on your plastics so when you touch its....its...its like silky smooth i dunno how to explain it. Your hand or anything for that matter just slides off your plastic and doesnt leave any residue. Best stuff i ever bought i put it on my all my plastic, windscreen, and faceshield and I havn't had to clean them in a week and a half! A+ Product, highly reccommended

Bordsnbikes
10-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Maybe we should have a product recommendation section or something.

oxygen151
10-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Thaloc, where did you buy Plexis at? I have heard of it before and I think I am going to give it a try.

FIDOSOL
10-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes LeFox and I had a discussion about Octane Boosters before. YOUR MANUAL SAYS NOT TO USE THEM. But what you're talking about doesn't seem to be the same as Octane Booster.

Bordsnbikes
10-25-2008, 09:27 PM
My impressions were not to use octane boosters to creat 1947543 octane gas. But it was ok if you used 87 and an octane booster to get your to 91 or something. Is that incorrect?

dave_xb12r
10-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I've used Plexis, and I dont like it. It's just not as effective as the Remus system. 3M has a great combination cleaner/polisher

FIDOSOL
10-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Bords, I wouldn't use the octane booster on 87 to make it the equivalent of 91. The octane booster doesn't have everything that is in regular gas.

Bordsnbikes
10-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Perhaps this needs it's own discussion. See link to new topic,

http://www.buellxb.com/article3255.htm

neophyte
10-26-2008, 01:51 AM
oxygen151 some Boat/Marine shops carry Plexis.

Thaloc
10-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Thaloc, where did you buy Plexis at? I have heard of it before and I think I am going to give it a try. Ya I got mine at my service shop. Im sure you could order it. Whats the Remus system Dave? and what about Plexis didnt you like?